solex rebuild...tips?

I'm going to attempt a rebuild of my Solex 30 pict 3 carb. I assume it's original to the car, like the 1600 single port engine it has. I have a rebuild kit which includes a nice assembly diagram, but was wondering if any of you more experienced mechanics can offer any tips for this job? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
greg edmonds

On Tue, 25 May 2004 20:00:34 GMT, "greg edmonds" wrote:

...wiggle the throttle shaft if there is axial play then no amount of rebuilding will restore the carb to proper function. What occurs is the throttle shaft eventually wears the carb body and a vacuum leak develops. In order to correct this condition the carb may be bushed with bronze or other bushing materials to restore a tight and leak free seal. RIMCO for one can perform this operation, but oft times it is considered easier to simply replace the carb at this point. Asssuming your throttlee shaft checks out to be within tolerance, and you have determined that you do indeed have a specimen worthy of rebuilding teh process is fairly straight forward. Soaking in solvent can oftenm loosen tough varnish. Arm your self with various bristly friends (brushes) and proceed to clean all surfaces internal and external thoroughlt. Use a tip on spray carb cleaner to make sure all passages are free and clear. Make sure check vlave operates freely. Make sure jets are clear....be very careful if attempting to open a clogged jet, brass is of course a soft metal and it is very easy to inadvertantly enlarge the hole. Thus I advise the use of objects to cleean obstructions be used only as a last resort when solvents fail, and with caution then. The VW carb is one of the simplest carb's I have ever rebuilt.....care and attention to de4tails shoudl ensure success. I usually lay out several clean rags and arrange parts on them as I remove in a logical orde....actually I do this for most any bench disassembly, and it is in general good practice. Once everything is disassembled I clean each piece and restore it to its positiion, thus assembly proiceeds in a logical and simple fashion.

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian