Some tuning advice please

I have recently completed my bug rebuild which included a new engine. I have exceeded the running in period and I am experiencing only a slight problem but annoying none the less. At a certain point in the acceleration span the power drops off slightly and the engine stutters a bit, backfires then picks up and goes. Its a twin carb set up and I have balanced these up correctly, which turns my attention to the timing but here is my dilemma, the distributor is marked with paint saying ' warranty void if broken' ! I have about 6 months left on the warranty. Can anyone suggest any other possible causes, one thought I had was the fuel pump as the engine is a 1914cc with twin dual Webber 44's. Is the pump not up to the demand?

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul

Well...unfortunately it sounds like a dizzy problem. The first tuning issue I had on my rebuilt 1600 was the dizzy. The cap and rotor needed to be replaced, and the timing re-adjusted. The other likely problem, which you CAN adjust, without voiding your new engine waranty, is the valve adjustment. I don't think it's your fuel pump. Dual 44's on a 1914cc should be provided more than enough fuel by the pump. You can, however, check the fuel filter if you have one. I would also check the gaps on the spark plugs, and most DEFINITELY adjust those valves! Check your air cleaners, if so equipped. ~anthony 73 Std.

Reply to
Anthony

Hi.Sounds like the 009 syndrome.Some are better than others but a midrange"burp" is almost classic.Check if its a new 009 or german.It seems the newer ones advance too mush,toosoon and the older the german ones get the more likely they are to do likewise due to the springs ageing.The fuel pump(you didn't specify stock or electric)should be keeping up unless there's a real radical cam in there.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

thanks for the advice guys, it is a stock fuel pump, but i will check those valve adjustments if that doesnt work i may sacrifice my warrenty!

thanks again

Reply to
Paul

another question i forgot to ask is does the 009 distro advance with the engine? i am quite new to this tuff so sorry if that is a silly question

Reply to
Paul

Yes it does. It advances ignition timing as the engine rpms rise. It should readch maximum advance somewhere between 2000-3000rpms, their build quality varies greatly and not one is precisely the same as the next one.

You should therefore set the timing according to the "worst case scenario", maximum advance. (You would tune the stock distributors at idle and they'd work right in a bone stock engine).

009 adjustment:

Get a strobe light, and set the timing to 28- 30 degrees BTDC at 3000 rpms and you will be safe. IDLE advance will fall into acceptable range. Then adjust idle engine speed. Then adjust timing one more time.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson