Something scary happened today

............I was driving home when a car started tailgating me. Usually it's a SUV that does this sort of thing but today it was an Acura coupe that looked brand new(?). It probably had directional control I'm guessing. Anyway, when I started exiting onto one of those 270 degree off ramps that has a 25 mph sign posted, this guy accelerated around me in the exit lane just before the ramp began and gave me the one finger salute as he entered the ramp at a very high speed. This annoyed me to the max and I accelerated into the ramp to see if I could stay with him....a bad idea maybe. My bug has heavy duty sway bars front and back and 185/205 Vredestein tires front and back and it corners very well....for a bug. So I'm staying right with this Acura going around that ramp at about 60 mph when suddenly my oil pressure light came on! I was cornering as hard as I've ever tried with this car maybe harder and this scared the crap out of me. Of course, I let off of the gas immediately and was relieved to see that oil pressure needle start climbing again as I slowed down.

..........My question: Is this normal to have the sump go dry during hard cornering? My engine has a 1600 case like everyone else has and I'm worried that maybe there's something wrong with my oil pickup tube. I remember reading a few times over the years of people claiming that those add on extra capacity sumps are supposed to prevent this but I've never worried about needing one myself. Any thoughts?

............And while I'm asking questions: Is this a sign of true machismo when you can drive like a maniac and actually get your oil pickup tube to start sucking air? Should I stop jousting with those Japanese super cars with computer aided brake biasing? Is there happiness and inner peace awaiting me at the next exit ramp? Is Jan Andersson a boy or a girl? Is Shaggy a real redneck or does he just pretend on usenet? Is Rocket J Squirrel a real Bhuddist just like Richard Gere? How did Speedy Jim get so speedy? Why are John Willis and Muadib living in Baja Oklahoma when it's so nice up here in NY? What makes Joey Tribiani get really mad? What kind of name is REMCO......Ukrainian?

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

accelerated

Here's one more: Were you glad you brought spare shorts when you saw that oil light come on?? :)

Sorry, can't help you on the other questions (although I always thought that Jan's a guy and Shag is a redneck) but here's at least one answer: Frisian (from Friesland, northern province of the Netherlands) - 12 more to go...

Remco

Reply to
remco

Yes. Also when driving off-pavement if you log a lot of air-time, which is why a lot of machines use a Po'Boy Preluber.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

I do the same on my old Corolla making corners sometimes. I get idiots that can't stand to be passed by a 'ferren' car. (The Corolla has been known to do 90 without breaking a sweat and it's only a stock 93.) I get so tired of old farmers in Buicks doing 55-60 on the interstate. (Speed limit is 65, traffic usually doing about 75-80.) But they have to accellerate when I start passing them. Then if they pass me again, they slow down again as soon as they get in front of me. One of these days I ought to introduce them to another German: The Maus tank. I know it doesn't go fast but it eats Buicks for breakfast. And doesn't even burp afterward.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Remco is a former Hollander now living in the U.S. He's also a ham, as am I. And I work for a pork-packing facility in the Chicago area. So I'm a ham working for a bunch of ham-makers.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Sometimes, though, you sort of feel the urge to give the guy something to think about. About 6 years ago I was driving the old 69 Nova home from work (250 CID, straight 6) and the accelerator cable broke. Well, I rigged up some nylon rope and ran it through the firewall and was driving cautiously the rest of the way. This jerk in a BMW didn't like the speed I was taking on a flyover exit ramp, so right at the end he crossed the quad lines, whipped around me, cut in front, and locked his brakes momentarily. :) :) Well, for grins, when he roared off with a bunch of open road ahead, I figured I'd see what the Nova could do. Wow, the accelerator cable must have been too long before, the Nova took off and locked right in behind the BMW all the way up to 114 MPH +/- when he had to start to slow down, having caught up with traffic. Ya know, having an old car (needing paint) follow closely after pulling a stunt like he had probably got him paranoid........... hope he thought a bit next time.

Though when folks give the "California Howdy" my favorite response is to smile a big dumb smile and wave like they were an old friend. Gets them REALLY PO'd. :)

Also, Maudib and John don't live in OK, though they are OK kinds of fellas.

Reply to
KWW

Uuhh, I thought you were going to say you saw someone from Ramva naked..

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

WHAAAAAAH!! My mind's eye just went blind! It'll take some stiff drinking to get that image out.. :)

Reply to
remco

My cousin used to own an S-10 that was basically so old it was primer colored. . . . Well the original 4 cylinder went, so he put a 350THD unit in it. He used to love watching the idiots that challenged him at stop lights fall behind in the dust. . . .

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr

Just don't tell me that Tim shops for shorts at Penny's and I'll be okay. It is no comfort to me to know that there's a million guys wearing shorts with MY NAME on 'em. The money is good, but.... ech.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

...............Got any pics?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I was very seriously considering a prelube unit, but mainly for pre-start lubrication, but someone talked me out of it. Now I'll look again. Po'Boy?

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

Why did he give you the finger? What did you do to provoke him? I never get into road rage situations. I just sit easy, ignore, mind my own business... with the 45 auto between the seats.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

I have to think just about anything from about the mid 80's on that was mainstream in the US can go 90. In my younger, stupider days I had the 100 MPH speedo in my Sunbird buried and it was a 2 liter

4 cylinder with only 95 HP.

I get idiots

Reply to
Ben Boyle

business...

................I was doing 80 in the left lane and he wanted to do 90. I would have had to brake and slow down to 60 in the right lane and then wait for someone to let me back into the left lane again. I figure if I'm doing

25 more than the speed limit, I'm just as entitled to the fast lane as anyone else. This is NY and we have a lot of attitude here.
Reply to
Tim Rogers

Mmmm, pork. I must have eaten some of your ham and ribs over at Famous Dave's in Addison the last time I was in Schaumberg for training at the Motorola factory. Geez, I didn't take my ham license with me. I hope I wasn't eating illegally. : ) Dang it, now I'm hungry. Gotta get the smoker out this weekend.

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

My '67 Beetle could do 90. My 65 (40 hp) can IFF I am flat out on this couple-of-mile level area and then go down this BIG hill on I-30... OK, it only really can hit about 86 -- if it is REALLY in tune.

Reply to
KWW

I had a car with a broken speedo like that, too.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum

mainstream in the US can go 90. In my younger,

liter 4 cylinder with only 95 HP.

My old Subaru could beat your Sunbird -- it would go about 85 while sitting still in the driveway.. ;) Remco

Reply to
remco

Whew! I don't think I'd mess with a guy who admits he's a pork packer.

Reply to
Lorem Ipsum