Source of grinding found ?

Looks like I found the source of the grinding noise in my engine.

It looks like the flywheel is/was hitting the bellhousing. What could cause this ? I haven't checked the endplay yet (need to get a micrometer), but could that be it ?

The bellhousing is 'scarred' on the bottom only.

Rob.

Reply to
Robv

Eyeball the endplay. Push/pull the flywheel. .006" is max allowed. That's the same as the valve gap and you know what that looks like...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

when I bought my '73, it was advertised as "motor bad"--it had a terrible noise coming from it. I pulled the engine and noticed the same thing you are describing. The nut on the flywheel had come loose and the dowel holes became worn, allowing the flywheel to wobble around in there.

See if yours is loose!

Reply to
Bugzilla