speed bump?

Ugh...stupid internet. I don't know if my last message posted or not. Anyway, to repeat, I hit a rather large speed hump a little too fast this last weekend. Caused quite a loud THUMP then BANG from the front and rear suspensions. The bug (a 73 std.) seems OK. Nothing sounds broken, and it still drives and steers fine. I'm still concerned that I broke something. What should I check for? I just replaced all four shocks, and they have been performing well, I hope I didn't bust 'em open.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

That was probably the suspension bottoming out on the travel stops. (the giant rubber knobs). I do it all the time.

Reply to
Zarana-X

If you do that a lot, you will be needing new transmission mounts soon ;-). The bang was probably from the exhausts hitting on the rear apron, or the bottom of the exhaust hitting on the speed bump. Check if your exhaust is bent.

Bill, '67 Bug

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Trust me Bill, it's not something I do a lot! Purely accidental. There was a large SUV in front of me, and I couldn't see past it at all. Being that this SUV was a Land Rover, and actually capable off-road, it sailed over the speedbump with no problem at 30 MPH. I hit the brakes, but it was too late, I still nailed it at 20-25. Well, it was actually a speed HUMP, the kind designed to be driven over at 20-25 MPH, but not in a Bug! Anyway, I'll check the exhuast later tonight, but I actually doubt that was it. Somebody said it was the suspension bottoming out, that sounds pretty feasible to me.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

If you were still on the brakes as you hit the speedbump, that would make a slamming noise, too. Release the brakes as you hit a bump and the car SHOULD roll over the bump instead of slamming into it. I've seen some major speedbumps that would slam you no matter what, though.

Reply to
Zarana-X

Pretty sure I released the brakes before hitting the bump, as driving experience has told me not to hold the brake while hitting a bump.

Anyway, I checked everything out today, no damage that I could see. The car is still driving fine. I think it's just a testament to the strength and hardiness of the standard beetle front suspension! Anyway, everything seems in check. I assume the noise was the rear suspension bottoming out on the snubbers.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony