Speedo Calibration

I'm looking for a way to calibrate the speedo in my '69 bug. It is off sue to tire and wheel size changes made by the PO. I've talked to a couple of places that do speedo calibration but they all need the speedo for a couple of weeks to fix it. Is anyone aware of some instructions to do this yourself or where I can find a ratio adapter that will fit and won't cost me $80-$100?

BTW: Thanks for all the feed back on my Carb and Dizzy questions.

- Chris

----------------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

eldgrim

Nah. Make a cardboard template to fit over the speedo glass and recalibrate with a marking pen...

Seriouly, that's what I would do; it is a *huge* job to take apart and then requires hands with the skills of a watchmaker (yes, there is even a "hairspring" inside).

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That's a pretty genius idea.

It might help to borrow someone's GPS, they'll give you pretty darn accurate velocity readings.

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

It's really not a DIY job. Recalibrating the speedo requires changing the strength of a magnet inside. This is done with special puleed electromagnetic equipment that you'll only find at a speedo shop.

OTOH, if you can find a speedo shop in your town, they can often do it in a day, or even while you wait.

There are a lot of shops around who can do this with US speedos, but many of them are not familiar with the VDO method of specifying the calibration, so they may not want to deal with it.

-

Jim Adney