Speedo Question...Kinda

Anyone fabricate the plastic film that the alternator, oil and signal lights flash through. Mine is so worn out, that I can't even remember what color the indicators are supposed to be. I know the alternator is red and the oil is green, but what should the indicators be? Is there any place to buy these things?

Thanks, John

Reply to
JS

Just get some acrilic paper or folders and cut the pieces with scissors.

Thanks, John

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

That's what I'm doing, but I don't know what the turn signal indicator colors are. Care to enlighten me? I've got a 66.

Thanks, John

Reply to
JS

Check the restoration section and look for an article about restoring speedos.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Green on my '73 super, don't know if that's right on the 66. check out the link and try to see your speedo on the pics there.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Yeah, now I'm confused...it says for the earlier models the generator light was green. For some reason I thought the oil was green on mine.

Reply to
JS

my 1961 has a red (a bit orange) turn signal indicator, a red gen light, a blue high beams light and a green oil light.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Thanks, that's what I thought it was for the 66 also.

Reply to
JS

Green on all of my later model bugs, but red on my Euro spec 66 for some reason.

Jan

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Wolfsburgwest sells the replacement color film that you need

Reply to
<1l75

My 66 has a red alternator, green oil and green turn signal.

That was original for the speedo the car had when I acquired it, the cellophane was so worn I am under the assumption it was original coloring. I assume the speedo itself is original to the car but I've no way of verifying that.

Wolfsburgwest sells replacement cellophane, but it's not exactly the same as the original material. The colors are fine, but wolfsburg sells a thin film. The original stuff was more like a transparent piece of plastic, it was a millimeter or so thick.

It looks good once it's in the car though. Make sure you glue it so the smooth side faces you when it's installed, it doesn't look quite original if you glue it in backwards like I did. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

The speedo has a manufacturing month and year (2 digit year) stamped in the casing.

Jan ( 8/66 )

Reply to
Jan Andersson