Squealing brakes fixed!

Hey all. Some of you may remember that I have been posting questions about a very noisy set of front disc brakes I put on my car recently (some months ago.) Well, finally, after tinkering with the rear brakes, replacing rear shoes, putting different greases and anti-squeal compounds on the front pads, shimming the pads, adjusting the E-brake, checking caliper bolts, etc. etc. etc....I noticed that the two pins that hold the brake pads into the caliper have a split washer on one end to prevent you from pushing them all the way through. When I shook the pins vigorously, the metallic sound the washers made against the pins had a pitch strikingly similar to the squeal made during harder stops when the brakes were warm. Anyway, I coated the split wahsers in epoxy, and got epoxy on the pin where the spit washers go on it. Then I reinstalled with a new set of pads (for good measure) all the same parts in the usual manner. The epoxy set up the rest of the way with the pins in place, so the split washers would be correctly positioned when dry, but the pins themselves are NOT glued in (naturally, or I couldn't ever change pads again). NO MORE SQUEAL!! I assumed that the sound was being made by a high frequency of the split washers vibrating on the pins. Worse sound as the brakes got warmer was probably caused by the spit washers expanding in the heat, and vibrating even more. Anyway, it is now so nice to roll to a stop without being the center of everyone's "what the hell is that sound?" attention! For anyone who has installed an aftermarket disc kit to their Beetle, and it squeals horribly when warm, I strongy suggest this procedure. Laters ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

If these are ATe calipers and that split washer is more like a split sleeve, then that sleeve is supposed to be driven inside the caliper where it will be tight, and thus keeps the pin from falling out.

See the pictures in the Bentley manual for details.

Ignore this if they don't appear to be "sleeves."

-

Jim Adney

Hmmmm...split sleeves they are. However, when I first installed them, I did drive them into the caliper. I also thought the spring in the caliper provided the tension to keep the pins from falling out. I'm not sure if I drove them all the way in though. The split sleeves are tapered on both ends, but I tried squeezing one with a pair of pliers, and it would NOT compress. In their previous condition, I'm pretty sure they were in as far as they would go. Oh well? Or could my new modification be a possible future problem? There is ALOT of tension on the spring in the caliper pushing up on the pins...they seem pretty well clamped into the caliper. Should I be weary of the pins falling out?! There was less tension on them in their previous condition than there is now (new pads have a higher area inbetween the pin holes, that pushes the spring up higher.)

The way you describe it makes it sound like if the pin was properly installed in the first place, I may not have had this problem to begin with. Faulty pins? Should I look for new ones, or a new hardware kit? I, unfortunately, do not have a Bentley manual. I know I know...stupid indeed. But that's what groups like these are for. Thanks for the replies ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Anthony,

Jim has made a good po> Hmmmm...split sleeves they are. However, when I first installed them,

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Do you have any kind of manual? Almost all of them show how to install these pins. I would NOT leave them with the split sleeves outside the calipers.

The cross spring in the caliper will tend to hold the pins from sliding out, but it's not good enough to bet your brakes on them. The real function of the cross springs is supposed to be to help suppress pad vibration.

I doubt if the pins are faulty.

You can probably just tap them into place. Use a hammer and lightly tap directly on the ends of the pins until they drive into place. I doubt if the epoxy will cause you any problems. It will probably just crumble.

-

Jim Adney

Thanks Jim. I do have the idiot book(Muir) and it does show calipers, but I have discovered that it doesn't show my type. (ATE or TEVES) However, somebody posted a link to online shop manuals earlier this week, and that has been very very helpful! Had illustrations and everything. I'll try tapping the pins in today. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony