squealing speedo question...

hello- i am a semi new poster and long time lurker here,

planning on becoming more frequent as i work on my daughters 68 vert...

as the subject indicates the speedo is given o fit's of incredibly loud squealing, as well as the needle bouncing all over and then not working...

i am not a complete newbie with vw's.. i served some time as a shop grunt for a vw master mechanic.

(bruce brimhall ,r.i.p.,died last year but his current shop helper has stepped up to the plate and is doing a fine job covering the bases)

but 10 pluss years behind a desk doing cadd design and civil engineering has left my vw blade dull and in need of sharpening. 8^)

do i need to just get a rebuilt? or is there anything i can do to prolong yet quiet the the musical life of my unit?

thanks a bunch-

jd-drafter

Reply to
jdowling

Dear shop grunt:

No need for a rebuilt. There is a bushing on the input shaft which eventually runs out of lube after......40 years! You can work light lube in there without disassembly, though the thing is at an odd angle and taking the speedo out of the dash makes it easier.

This site shows the "innards" and how to take apart:

and this one:
and one more:

Speedy Jim

"I have no use for a car which has more spark plugs than a cow has teats!" Henry Ford, when advised that Chevrolet was introducing a 6-cylinder engine.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

thanks- i'll give that a look- could i just put a few drops of wd-40 in there? or ? grease or graphite? teflon lube?

jd-drafter

Reply to
jdowling

Maybe 3-in-one light oil? I think most folks prefer a light grease for some permanence.

Lot o' ways to skin the cat :-)

Reply to
Speedy Jim

apart:

Another culprit could be the speedo cable it'self.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

you can try to spray some lube in through the cable connection....or you can remove it and disassemble it and clean all the old crusty grease out and then regrease it....i did the latter...worked great.... here are a few pictures of a 68(one year only) speedo....(posted this for someone that wanted to know how to change the "gels" in the speedo...but you can see what is going on...if you need anymore detailed pics of the inner workings let me know, i have two other 68 speedos disassembled now....the wife would love to see them gone off the counter)

Joey Tribiani

Last winter I had this problem, the speedo was screeching intermittently. I traced it to the speedo cable, but ever since I bought a replacement the noise has disappeared, typical!

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose