Stainless brake line lengths?

I'm ordering some stainless brake hoses (finally) to replace the 37 year old rubber hoses on my deathtrap, er, bug. :)

Does anyone happen to know the lengths for hoses needed for the drum brakes in front and for the drum brakes in the rear? (Standard IRS transmission if that makes a difference). Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Off-hand, I don't know the lengths, but from these guys you just select your car to get the right fit.

If you ever decide to upgrade to disk brakes, the kit from
worked well for me on a '73 Su=per (kit already has stainless hoses for the front).

Then I stole the rear brakes off a Type 3, which have 70% greater shoe area and are a 100% bolt-on.

Later, I got better pedal feel and panic stop confidence after adding a metering valve and a proportioning valve to the plumbing

David Gravereaux

Uh, yeah, they're the ones who sent me 2 hoses instead of the 4 ordered. The hoses have no markings at all. The invoice doesn't indicate whether they are the front or back, so I was hoping someone here would know the sizes. That way I could order the remaining correct ones.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Hi Michael,

I didn't realize they are sold by length when I had mine replaced.

aircooled has them by year and drums/disk combos. hope this helps.

I'm ordering some stainless brake hoses (finally) to replace the 37 year

Cecil

anton

Call em.

Cecil

anton

John is there to answer your question and fix the order. Call him!

Reply to
john

I did, he wasn't sure what the lengths were supposed to be. Before I undo my current working brake lines I guess I'll have to just hold the new lines in parallel and make sure they're the right size.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

sounds like a plan.

Cecil

anton

This might help... Mid America Motorworks lists their "Rubber Brake Hose(s)" with lengths for front and rear and for swing-axle or IRS.

Not sure they will exactly match your stainless hoses, but you should be able to tell if they go in the front or rear.

I bought a set of stainless hoses and ended up getting the wrong one. I bought a set for IRS, but I have a SA. The difference was only the rear hoses (Male/Female vs Female/Female). Had to exchange them.

AshMan40

Reply to
AshMan

Ah thanks, well I now have a pair of longer hoses (365mm) that are Male/Female for the front and a pair of shorter hoses (235mm) that are also Male/Female.

According to that page the front hoses should be 390mm for standard drum brakes and 365mm for disc brakes. Looking at other stores online, the length for the front hoses seems to vary from 350 to 390mm. I think I will just have to dry fit them and see if there is any binding or whatever.

At least they seem to have the right gender ends.

Reply to
Michael Cecil