Stalling Problem

Looking for a little help with what I think is an ignition problem. A friend of mine has a 73 Super Beetle with an Autostick and it will randomly stall. It can happen anytime, but doesn't always do it. It does seem to happen only when engine is warmed up, but sometimes it runs perfectly. At night when it happens if you turn the lights on while idling it will stall immediately, but you can keep it running by giving it gas. It can also happen when shifting into gear. Points, condenser, cap and rotor have all been replaced. Timing has been checked and valves are adjusted. We're going to take a look at it this weekend and just thought I get some opinions on where to look.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
mdcar75

My vote: minor carb flooding. Very common in summer. Hot fuel in carb bowl percolates out or is forced out the accel jet. Makes idle mixture very rich and the slightest load on the engine (more Amps from Gen or shift into gear) causes stalling.

NOTE: This is NOT "vapor lock".

There is no "good" fix for it. Raising carb on an insulating gasket may help. Adding a fiber washer under the float needle valve may help (lowers fuel level in bowl). Replacing needle valve may help. Adjusting idle mixture leaner (small screw) may help. Raising idle speed may help.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm no bug expert so take this with a grain of salt: You say it frequently stalls when your turn the lights on?

I'd check the voltage across the battery and the coil. They should pretty much be equal and with an alternator read over 14V. Kick the lights on and measure again. While it may be charging fine, perhaps you have a bad ground in your headlight path somewhere: With a bad ground, the current finds another way to return which causes an unexpected voltage drop in other circuits (causing maybe the coil to starve).

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Btw, with "measuring across the coil", I mean measusing across the primary of the coil of course (Just making sure you don't zap your multimeter or yourself. :) Basically measure across the slip on contacts.

Reply to
Remco

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully we'll a chance to look at it this weekend and I'll post back if we find anything. He has a rebuilt carb that he is going to put on and maybe that will help if it's fuel related.

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
mdcar75

Not sure about this, but could he perhaps disconnect the plus of the coil and connect the coil straight to the battery with an extra wire, then take it for a spin, that way he can exclude a wiring problem. I'v seen a toyota corolla do this and in that case it was a faulty coil, may be worth checking as well.

Bart Bervoets schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Reply to