Starter...

OK, I I think have to replace my solonoid....(very intermittant no-crank situation - turn key to start, idiot lights dim *slightly*). I replaced the ignition switch a couple years ago, no change. Mind you, this only happens extremely infrequently (like once a year?). So I suspect the solonoid now. Question: Since I have to remove the starter to replace the solonoid, do I just replace that component of my original (36 yo) German starter motor, or replace the whole thing with a Mexi/Braz. whatever on the market today? I have no complaints about the function of the motor itself.

(Ain't been 'round these parts in ages!!)

Reply to
Lenny D.

If the windings/ brushes and commutator on the starter are fine then you only need to replace the solenoid. You can remove and dismantle the solenoid and clean contacts/lubricate and reassemble if you dont mind a fiddle. Personally I find it therapeutic. Two large screws hold the thing together, you will probably need a impact screwdriver to get those screws out. Then unsolder wires that come from INSIDE the solenoid and connect to the spade terminals. It will then come to bits. Clean contacts etc reassemble etc etc and you should be right. If the large contacts that supply current to starter are obviously past it get a new solenoid, parts are not available. Last one I did was on the daughters car. A bug ( of the multi legged kind) had decided the space between the big copper pads was a great place for a rest. Last rest he had. Darned if I know where it got in. Cheers John

Reply to
John

I would suspect the wireing befores the solenoid.

Reply to
Macsoft

John, How did you get your solenoid apart? I am converting from 6 to 12 volt and tried putting the 12 volt solenoid on the 6 volt starter as recommended on some web sites. The two solenoids look the same on the outside but the

12 volt starter and solenoid have a longer stroke than the 6 volt solenoid. The contacts don't make up when you put the 12 volt solenoid on the 6 volt starter. So I would like to take the solenoid apart to see what the difference is.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Bugger

I always add another solenoid to fire the original one on the starter. that way more volts go to the little slip on post on it. works great!

Reply to
A Veteran

Dont really see the point in that. A solenoid is just a big relay. If it works with 6 volts, it will do marvelous with 12 volts. No diference in wearness. The starter is another story. It will spin twice as fast... last half the time.

MM

Reply to
Macsoft

Yap, me too. A realy to start the solenoid, shortening the cable distance, ense less power loss on the currents path.

Reply to
Macsoft

yap, all our VW's . all 7

Reply to