starter not starting

Hi All

This is a 74 Bay with a 2.0L CJ engine. Last night she took me home fine. Later I tried to start it and it does nothing, just a dimming in the lights, but no starting engine and no starting noise. The Haynes manual says the battery must be low, but I charged it overnight and this morning I have the same problem. Any ideas? How should troubleshoot this?

TIA Ant

Reply to
Ant

Check the connections on the battery. Check groundwires from battery to chassis and chassis to gearbox Got a Voltmeter? Messure the voltage on your battery when everything is turned off. Should be about 12Volt. Measure again during key in position "Start" - should not go under 9-10 Volt if so - your battery is broken down or very empty for power. Can you get your engine running with "startercables" ? Yes? Then measure the voltage at the battery with headlights on about 2000 -3000 rpm. Should be 13-14,3 Volt - if not your generator/alternator is not working.....

greetings from Denmark...... Michael 1303

Reply to
MIC

It sounds like you need a 'hard start relay kit'.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Here we go again..... damn!

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Hard start relay kit? Sounds interesting. I wonder what the pros and cons of one of those kits are... :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

Why would I want my car to be harder to start?

Reply to
Seth Graham

.........SPLAT!!!

......heh heh......got him again right in the back of the head.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I think I'd suspect the starter before making modifications to the original design.

Reply to
Ed Botwinik

Ed I have dealt with this problem before and most of the time the starters were fine. Then Speedy Jim told me to look at the headlight switch. I started do checks and not suprised to find why hes a true guru.

Mario Vintage Werks restoraton

Reply to
Kafertoys

TIMOTHY! Young man, you march straight into the principal's office right now!. Girls, stop giggling! Shaggie, honestly - I don't know what is wrong with you! How many times have you been told about speaking before being called on? OH CUT IT OUT -- that spitball didn't hurt you! Girls!

I need a drink.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I hate you, Shaggie.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Clean the connections coming into the headlight switch as had been said before. As a matter of fact....clean them all. The hard start relay works great........I put one in my 68 Bug and it has NEVER failed. Do it only after you have cleaned all the connections well as a last resort. Beats the s**t out of push starts.. Eric 68 Bug Ol reliable NOW

Reply to
Stutzsr

my 68 has the factory original ignition switch and wiring, and it works great...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

That'll learn ya to make me get up in front of the class. :)

Reply to
Shaggie

It's not too late to install a hard start relay so that when the original stuff fails you have a backup. ;-)

Reply to
Shaggie

its on my list Shag, really it is....it is number 3 on the list...right behind eating razorblades and drinking draino......

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I have one installed and it's great! to deal with a resistance in the long wire from the start side of the ignition switch. You install a relay, I use a Ford solenoid, it gets the message from the ignition start position and that sends a jolt directly from the battery to the starter solenoid. You find out if this is the problem by crawling under and shorting the little connection to the big post on the solenoid , if that turns the engine over, you've found the problemo.

good luck, Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it. -Mark Twain

Reply to
veteran

Does the 74 Bay have the same basic electrics as a 74 Beetle?

I hada 74 beetle that had a bad relay of sorts that has some sort of little circuit inside that just gives up................and it did. I called a local VW shop and was looking to buy the relay, and they told me that it was no longer available retail. But the guy went on to tell me which terminals to wire across to bypass the relay and it worked beautifully.

Don't remember which little box it was or what it was called, that car has long since been cut up and discraded due to major wreckage.

Speedy jim prolly has the answers though.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®