Starter relay

Speedy Jim, I want to install a starter relay under the back seat of my 68 Bug Cab. I picked up one at PEP Boys and the terminals are marked L B S. I assume B =battery, S=switch and L=application of current to the starter motior solenoid itself. Do you suggest a fuse? Appreciate your thoughts. Eric

Reply to
Stutzsr

I'll guess your assumption on the term designations are correct.

Watch out that "S" is supposed to get 12V rather than a Ground signal. Put something like a 20A fuse in-line or, better, an automotive circuit breaker (back to Pep Boys).

If this thing you got is a hevi-duty solenoid type relay, you might want to exchange it for a Bosch automotive relay:

typical wiring.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

WHY would you want to do this?

Your problem lies with corroded terminals, wires, and possibly worn/damaged ignition switch. Repair those, instead of hiding the real problem with a relay (Which will in turn introduce more corrosion-prone contacts into this mess).

You are making the system more complicated, more vulnerable, and you are not even fixing the problem.

Do a search on this, you'll find that it has been discussed in great lenghts before. Some still favor the relay, but these cars worked GREAT for 40 years and more, without one. I say that's pretty good.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

But if you decide to go the relay route then ask Joey for details about it and he'll be glad to hook you up with lots of information about using a starter relay. He's posted a lot about the subject and I think he said he's used one of those relays in every VW he's owned and swears by them. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 07:39:39 -0400, Shaggie ran around screaming and yelling:

WERD!!!! JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yes, I have also heard great legends from Jan and Joey about the relays. They can surely give you advice on how to use relays on different applications also...

Reply to
Olli Lammi

The relay worked great.......put a 30 amp in line fuse in too for safety. I also had a remote button I had been using when the key didn't work. I kept that too because it uses a separate lead to the solenoid. So I got all the bases covered. What a pleasure...........Thanks guys.

Reply to
Stutzsr

On 22 Jun 2004 00:27:58 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Stutzsr) ran around screaming and yelling:

you probably spent more time doing this than fixing the real problem...but i digress... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Nope, it was quick and painless. Eric

Reply to
Stutzsr

On 22 Jun 2004 01:32:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Stutzsr) ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...so is fixing the bad wire in the stock system... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani