Starter trouble

Here's my latest:

Smoked the starter today. How is not important. Lets just say I'm wearing my sign now.

I've got an early bus transaxle. The brake drums have the big holes and the splined parts stay attached, 4 lug wheels. Other than that I don't know what year. It's a 200mm flywheel and was originally 6 volt. I've converted to 12 volt system. I've been told when the starter goes bad, which it has, my options are to rebuild my starter. Buy a 12 volt starter but re use my starter drive. Or I'll have to change starters and flywheels. Any advise from you guys would be appreciated. I'm in the process of taking the starter off and will post numbers from the old one if there are any.

I'll straighten my sign and crawl back under the car now while I await your suggestions and remarks. Some days you're the windshield and some days you're the bug. Today, I'm the bug.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11

The numbers are 311 911 021 vw and theres a paper tag with a bar code that reads 16318 best I can tell. Obviously it's been replaced before.

< TC
Reply to
tcrdn11