starters

posted October 22, 2003 09:40 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have has startup issues. I have narrowed it to my starter area. I have had intermittant trouble with starting and it seemed as if i have trouble charging (i.e. generator issues) however, i get 14 volts to the battery while the car is running. And in addition I can leave my headlights on while starting and they do not dim. And sometimes when I turn the ignition over a horrible sound comes from the starter area.

So this leaves me one location, the starter solinoid or the starter itself, or both.

question 1. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any better solutions?

I have a 1956 bug on a 1962 pan with a 71 AE type 1600cc engine inside.

question 2. Based one this configuation, what is the best starter for my line up?

Reply to
James

Easiest route is to pull the 2 mounting nuts... the 1 cable nut and spade connector and bring it to a alternator/starter repair company. They'll be able to bench test it, clean it and swap out brushes. We just got one back -- $25 later and we're back on the road.

Best starter --- the one you have... I've had bad luck with low-end and foreign rebuilds.

T.

Reply to
MN AirHead