starting problems

Hello,

I left my '70 bus sitting parked for three weeks. It rained almost the entire time. I tried to start it, but it won't start. The starter turns the engine strong. The fuel pump pumps fuel, I reset the points and timing, getting spart at the points. I'm suspecting it might be bad gas or water in gas, as Matt S, was recommending to his problem earlier. Is dry-gas safe to use? I still have half a tank and that would be a lot of gas to drain and dispose of otherwise. I will check all the sparkplugs to see if they have condensation on them. I just replaced them about 2 months ago. Any ideas?

Reply to
Busdriver

Sparkplugs. BTDT

Bring a fresh set along. Even drying off the outside of the present ones may not be enough. Sometimes it's enough to change only 2 plugs; let the engine run a bit to warm things up and they'll dry out.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

used to have the same problem with my 72 dodge charger. i cured the problem by putting silicone around the base of the dizzy cap and never had the problem again.

that only happened when it rained alot. this may or may not help your problem.

Reply to
bob

After washing my Beetle once, it also wouldn't start... Had to take a hair dryer to the distributor (after taking the cap off of course) and after about 15 minutes of really drying all areas of wiring, points, etc. it started like a charm again. This is an old problem not specific just to the VW.

Reply to
Red Bug

Thanks guys,

I just checked the plugs, they're all dry and in good shape. While off I checked the compression and am baffled. The compression on all cylinders dropped about 15 psi since june 2004, and are now at 125 psi. Except #2 which fell about 90 psi since then down to

60 psi. Before I parked the Bus it ran sweet and started with no problems. Turning over the engine I did notice a knock for a couple revolutions...

I also checked if I get spart at the spark plugs. I get spark at the end of the wires (took off the plastic cap). Drained the gas out of the carburetor - had a little dirt in it but no water. I guess the dirt dropped into the canister while manuvering it out of the tight spot. The spay nozzle inside the carburetor spays gas... I'm stumped about the compression and the fact that the bus just won't start, it all seems to be alright...

Reply to
Busdriver

Should start and run with even 40 PSI. Put new plugs in. "Small" shot of starting fluid in carb.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

After I put it all back together it started up! I guess my bus just missed me and wanted some TLC, like always, always needing some attention...

But what could cause the 'sudden' drop in compression from 150 to 60 psi on #2?

Thanks again for your ideas!!

Reply to
Busdriver

You could have had rust develop on one of the valve heads while sitting. After it runs a while, the compression will come back. Give it another test in a while.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim