Starting problems/gas flow

First time posting.. I have a 69 beetle that sat for 17 years in a garage. I replaced the carb that was gummed up bad, replaced the fuel tank(filled with thinner) LOL and it fired right up. I replaced fuel filters every few hours of run time till no more filter discoloration was happening. I am having problems with acceleration though. First it starts hard in the mornings. Good solid cranking for about 10 to 15 seconds then a sputter or two before it fires. Runs fine with the exception that I cant stomp on the gas. Its sputters and almost stalls. I just slowly depress the gas peddle to get the revs up before letting out on the clutch and I run the revs high before shifting into the next gear. I avoid stepping on the gas hard through the gears. Once up to speed,

40-50 I can just floor it and she steadily climbs in speed without sputtering. The only thing I can think of is that the gas line through the tunnel might be clogged. But would I still be able to cruise at 65 if that line was clogged? Oh on the hard to start part..... once I get to work it fires right up again. I can let it sit for an hour or more and it still fires up fine. Thanks for any help in adavance. Doug
Reply to
Turbo

Check the timing. What kind of distributor do you have (single vacuun, double vacuum or no vacuum) and what is the timing setting you use? Does the vacuum can hold underpressure when you suck and hold and does the plate inside the distributor move when sucking?

Accelerator pump might be clogged, the pump diaphgram busted or completely misaligned. Hell, might even be that the accel pump=20 nozzle has dropped to the intake manifold.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Reply to
Turbo

I think the static timing should be 7,5 degrees BTDC with the single vacuum distributor and carburettor model.

Which carburettor?=20

Exploded views of Solex 28, 30, 31 and 34 PICTs

Olli Lammi