Starting - this has gotta be just so wrong

The '72 standard was put away in 2002. Sat outside all Wiinter (Minnesota). I put the battery in and it started and ran. WTF?

Reply to
<jjs>

I take it you've never seen Woody Allen's 'Sleeper' :-)

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

"normal"....

Reply to
Joey

Imagine seeing you here... My "worn out" 1776 fired up after sitting 3 years and sounds fine. Gotta love a $300 VW that runs.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Yes, I have! Saw the movie in a university student neighborhood and the whole house about came apart when Woody fired up the dusty Bug.

Reply to
<jjs>

Not according to what I read around here. The heat still works. That can't be right, either. It also idles and accelerates properly and the oil doesn't smell like gas. But it did take a long time to move gas up to the carb for that first start.

:)

Reply to
<jjs>

My Bug sat all of December through February and fired right up last week. I guess it was just happy to see me... ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Well, I'll be! Yah, I've been here since I had to quit two-wheels for reasons I'll speak of if necessary. I'm as nutz with four as I was with two. Everything ACVW is a project, constantly, pretty much like it was in the Panhead days! In fact, I can't get to my garage for all the projects in the drive. But who needs to? I don't drive what's in the garage, either!

Good to see ya, Les!

-- AH#2 (nobody here knows what it means)

Reply to
<jjs>

No, no, Tony. If it starts and leaves a wet spot under the engine, then THAT is a sign it likes you.

Reply to
<jjs>

So far I have started an engine that is known to sit 22 yrs. with only a tune up.

Mario Vintage Werks resto

Reply to
Kafertoys

So that's what that's why there's a dark spot on the Bug side of the driveway. ;o)

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Yeah, I remember pics of a lowered black car, very cool. Didn't you blow the engine on it?

I understand about the projects. Spunky (Wolfpup) called me a Project Magnet one day due to all of mine. I have 17 vehicles right now. Only 4 are currently driveable.

Yeah, but I do, just like I knew exactly who I was replying to.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1

Nope. The external oil line came loose from the block and Mobil 1 spewed directly on the header where it merges - one huge ball of fire, blew open the rear latch, I hit the kill switch (bikers put kill switches on their hot rods) and it's okay.

But when someone tells you that "This blue hose is the same as that good stuff that doesn't need clamps if you use the barbed spigs" don't believe 'em.

4:17 is not a bad ratio in my book.

If you ever want to get into a custom chassis for a mid-engine setup let me know and maybe we will get two of 'em.

Reply to
<jjs>

Glad to hear that it wasn't any worse. I plan on a kill switch in addition to the key switch, possibly a battery cut-off too. Oh, and a fire extinguisher.

I'm not building for looks, hose clamps don't bother me any.

The VW is further away from being a driver this evening. The engine is out on a furniture dolly. trans is next.

I've half considered going that route on my Fiat. Mate it to a VW trans with the ring gear flipped and the water cooled 903 cc engine in front of the axle. I'm already thinking about using a narrowed beam on the front of the car.

Les

Reply to
Project Magnet #1