starting woes

Hi,

I have a 65 Type II, converted to 12v, with an AF 1835cc engine. The bus is new to me. Here is the deal:

Cold start: Fine. Not what I would call robust cranking speed, but saerts within 3 seconds.

Dirive around in N. Calif (90+F) for 20-30 mins, and the bus will barely crank (if at all). Wait 20-30 minutes and it will start.

Here is what has been done:

Valves-adjusted Timing-in spec (don't know what, the shop checked) Plugs-new yesterday Rotor&cap-same Battery-new

I have been told to replace: coil, starter, starter bushing, check ground connections etc, etc, etc.

My wife really wants to drive the bus!

I'm very handy (its been about 15 years since I've had to work on gas cars to keep them going - thanks '87 mercedes 300d!, so I'm a bit rusty)

Please be very specific & detailed. I know I can "take it to the shop if that's all you know...", but I'd really like to do it myself. I am sure you can appreciate!

Thanks to all in advance.

Reply to
Mr. Bill

First thing I would do is compare the effort needed to turn the engine by hand when Cold compared with when Hot. (You can turn the Gen pulley with a gloved hand for this test.) If it's significantly harder when Hot, there is either a cooling problem or an engine assembly problem.

If that's OK, I would next measure battery voltage while cranking. Put the meter leads directly onto the battery posts. Repeat that measurement from the tranny/engine case (NOT chassis) to the starter solenoid battery terminal, again while cranking.

Do the voltage measurements while Cold and again when Hot.

Those tests may provide some clues as to where to go next.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:01:36 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

oh man....i see where this is going.... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I can't wait to find out!

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

WRONG! Not this time; the starter solenoid pulls in but it just cranks slooooow.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 09:17:28 -0400, Speedy Jim ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL...sorry Jim....just so many times it is the first thing someone yells...not necessarily you...... JT(who *loves* to give speedy a hard time sometimes...but thanks for what you do for this group Jim....you are great)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani