Status of the Wonderbus

After all the good advice, the girding of loins and removal of engine; after all the grimy fingernails and stains on the driveway, the seemingly endless removal and inspection of various parts, the trips to the hardware store and parts store to repair/replace bad/missing parts, the cautious re-assembly, the waking up in the middle of the night realizing that I am friggin' /dreaming/ about the engine, and the various mechanical puzzles . . . after all that, the engine is back in the Wonderbus and running better than ever. The continual smell of oil vapors or exhaust vapors in the cabin are gone, heater air smells fresh, the clutch no longer makes that funny whining noise when the clutch pedal is down, the leaky main crank seal is replaced, the engine is much cleaner, runs cooler and instead of feeling like I was pushing the engine with the gas pedal to make the engine go, it now feels like the engine is pushing me.

My thanks and appreciation to all who helped me with advice and explanations and hints and tricks. I couldn't have done it without you.

Next up: passenger door still needs to be leaned into when opening from the inside to open, sliding door mechanism is getting stiffer and stiffer, speedo cable is making a squeaking sound, lighting for all the instruments except the aftermarket tach is too dim to read at night, passenger side headlamp points downward and the bezel resists all attempts to raise it up. Need to check and maintain wheel bearings and CV thingies and brakes.

I'll be asking more questions. You've not heard the last of me. Sooner or later I'll know enough to answer the rare question.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Congrats and salutations! You've graduated well beyond the "appliance" mindset of the typical automobile driver. (You know, the "drive it, let someone else fix it, and then throw it away" mentality.)

Let me tell you a story here.

I bought a 1999 Jetta as a commuter car in, not suprisingly, 1999. I have a great job that I like, get paid pretty well, etc. Traded that Jetta in on a

2002 New Beetle GolfBall Turbo S. Great car, can't complain.

Well, the morning of 12/31/2003 my wife totalled the golf ball on icy roads. Nobody was hurt, but for the next week I was driving my 1967 Westphalia camper to work every day until the insurance settled things. Then it was for two weeks, soon a month. I decided at some level that it felt really GOOD to be driving something that I had done ALL the work on to work every day. (I had purchased a rust free shell, great motor, and blown transaxle bus w/ no brakes and a lot wrong), and did all the work myself to get her 100% mechanically sound. Wow, if ANYTHING goes wrong on this car, I am ready, I am prepared, to do what it takes to get my ass into work.

This is a great feeling, as I am sure you know by now.

I have been 100% aircooled for 3+ months now, and don't see myself going back to the appliance mentality. Sure, it takes effort and knowledge of your car, but that is worth it to me, at least.

Again, congrats on not being another mindless commuter drone that knows nothing about their car.

Reply to
ekoman

You know Mike. At least in the Beetle the light switch know rotates and you can adjust the instrument lightning brightness. Worth a try in = Wonderbus also before tearing the instrumentation apart.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Thanks, Olli, good thinking but I've checked that out already. When rotated to full brightness, the tach is nice and bright while the gas gauge and speedo come up to dim glimmer only. Their bulbs are wired in parallel, so the rheostat affects all three dials, yet the tach is the only one that reaching anything like useful brightness. Funky bulbs or a bunch of dirt or something.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Or bad ground for the instrumentation lights. They propably share their ground.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Excellent possibility. Here I was considering that the PO had stuck in rare 18-v automotive bulbs, while overlooking the very likely Famous VW Bad Ground Return Path possibility.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Way to go Rocky! Congratulations, Mike. You now know the feeling. When you drive along and feel or hear something "different" you'll start going down the checklist, mentally, and since you've been all through it, you'll know exactly what it might be (at least 75% of the time!)

removal of engine;

driveway, the

the trips to

bad/missing parts,

the night

and the

engine is back in

Reply to
Busahaulic

Thanks, BH, and thanks for your help in this project. The combination of rebuilding the clutch, replacing the exhaust headers and muffler, tightening up the tin, and (oddly) upgrading the distributor to vacuum-advance has all resulted in not only a crisper-feeling drive, but a far, far crisper-sounding engine. I can /hear/ it working rather than this loud, vague roar.

It's good stuff.