Steering column removal

Pictures at:

Have a '66 VW of uncertain history and a definite mix of parts from other years. Trying to strip to a bare body for removal and restoring. Ran into a problem with the steering column and how do you unbolt it. I don't want to have to drill the bolts out.

Reply to
Mike Andruschak

with that steering lock set-up you might try lightly tapping on the top( end that is under hood) and spray with PB blaster then grab with vice-grips,

Hope this helps it worked for me.

Reply to
Kafertoys

That column uses break-off bolts. Basically, when it was first installed, it had a bolt head on it, with a thin shank. When the bolts are tightened, the heads shear off, leaving a thief no easy way of removing the column. Unfortunately, it also means that you can't easily remove them either. You''ll have to drill them out to remove them. Or, drill a hole in the head, then use an Ez-Out to remove them.

**************************** Andy 'Dubless for the time being ****************************
Reply to
Jeckler

THANK YOU! You not only explained what, but the more important why -- and it makes sense. I have never heard of break-off bolts before but they are a logical thing to have for anti-theft purposes. I have a set of eazy-outs and now that I know the whyfor I will destroy the existing bolts.

Reply to
Mike Andruschak

Nice site!!

That steering lock is really interesting. Was it an accessory, or standard for 1966 US Spec cars?

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

............It was not standard on US spec bugs in '66.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

With a two-fold purpose. One -- to help others. More importantly, a record of what we undid so we can put it back in a year or so.

The operational ignition switch is/was on the dash. A plain bracket to hold the steering column was found under the back seat. I found a site that claims the steering wheel lock was added in '69. (

) All in all, I wouldventure that the steering column lock was added sometime in the late'60's early '70's. This car has a history totally shrouded in mystery.

Reply to
Mike Andruschak

After a bit of research, it turns out it was a factory accessory in '66!