steering problem

1978 beetle convertible. very hard to steer even with both wheels up. seems like it got harder after i bleed the brakes. coincidental probably. i have good brakes, but it takes a lot of power to turn. also, i notice with the car on jacks, the steering wheel turns really hard then loosens a second then hard again. it does this through the whole range of turning. hopefully fixing this problem will help the shimmies (over 60mph my arm looks like a human windshield wiper) as well. seems like something need greasing, but i don't see any fittings. thanks for any advice.

jim

Reply to
jim

Has it always been this way? Have you done anything (or had anybody do anything) to the steering system (like adjust it)?

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Holzer

no, it hasn't always been this hard. it has shimmied always, but i've only had the car a year. honestly, the steering got harder immediately after i bleed the brakes. i reckon it's always (in my year) been a little harder to turn than i thought it should, but not this hard. shouldn't it turn relatively easy with the front end up? thanks jim

Reply to
jim

Starnge that it has anything to do with the brakes. Especially up off the ground...........you should be able to turn the wheel lock-to-lock with nothing more than one finger pushing the steering wheel spoke.

I suspect the steering issue is only a steering issue, and it's coincidental to your brake work.

If you don;t have a manual, get one and adjust the steering box a little. It may be too far gone and in need of replacement or repair. If you have a manual, adjust it anyway.........LOL

Should be a cover plate in the luggage compartment for access to the steering gear box. when you open it (the access plate) you should see a large nut about an inch and a half accross, with an adjustment screw in the middle. Loosen the big nut, and adjust the screw "outward" or counterclockwise.............If it is very tight this may help tremendously. if it is loose, there could be far more drama about to unfold.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

I do believe that when you raised the car from the floor to bleed the brakes something moved from its original position. Check the idler arm, because the shimmies come from there and may be the bushing failed apart. It is just a thought.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

His '78 has rack and pinion steering. I would be tempted to disconnect the tie rod ends and see if the steering is still tight. That will isolate the problem.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

that's exactly what i figured. however i don't have any new tie rods (i notice the right one looks bent) as of yet, and i guess i'll wait til i get some new ones. cause i will ruin these getting them free, i 'spect. thanks. oh, if the thing is still tight would you check the needle bearing in the steering column? ooh boy, hope not. later. jim

Reply to
jim

i forgot. do you have any recommendations as to where to order the tie rods? thanks again. you have helped me b4. jim

Reply to
jim

be able to get tie rods.A bent one is sure suspicious. If you get a tool like:
can pop out the tie rod ends without damaging them. I think the main point is to determine if the tightness is in the rack or the wheels. I tend to doubt that the steering column is to blame, although the U-joint shaft should be inspected.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

"Speedy Jim" wrote

Jim - would any looseness his fenders (top shock mount) contribute to difficult steering? With the weight off the front end it would behave in a new way.

Reply to
johnboy

I agree. That's where I was headed with disconnecting the tie rod ends; that will isolate the wheels from the rack. Weight on the wheels is definitely a factor to consider.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

DamN! I missed the year model by whipping through that original post!

Having had the 75 I should have recognized the 78 as a R&P unit. Good call Quick James!

If it turns out to be the rack, not the wheels or struts, lemme know, I have a rack that will fit I think.

I think I have the rack.....................LOL. GOD I wish I knew what all I have now!...................LOL years of keeping junk will make you insane.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

gonna disconnect the tie rods and try to isolate the problem like speedy jim suggested. just waiting for the new tie rod ends, and removing tool i ordered to arrive. will let ya know if i need the rack. thanks. jim

Reply to
jim

Just a quick thought - as you are disconecting them, you could check after disconnecting one then both - then if there is a difference you will know which side !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

evidently the tightness is in the rack. popped the tie rod ends out, and both wheels turn freely, but the steering wheel is still tight. through the whole range its tight-free-tight-free. when i turn at right or left (at intersections, outta driveways, etc) i hafta muscle it back the opposite direction to center myself. shouldn't i be able to just release my grip pressure and the steering wheel kinda slide through my fingers? (like other cars). hope that makes sense.

the u joint looks ok. there's no play in it.

i haven't been able to find a rick and pinion unit on the net so far. however, i'm going to brazil next month on vacation and might find one there. can ya think of anything else i should try before buying a rack unit? thanks much for your help. jim

Reply to
jim orndorff

Sure sounds like you need a rack...

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I always keep my eyes open for a good rack.

:)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Oh, come on, Jan; I was thinking of this kind:

:) Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Sure you were. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

got any ideas as to where i might find one? not like the one in the link above. ouch. i spect he's gonna be a little tight after that. jpo

Reply to
jim