Stereo Inconspicuous.....

Hello RAMVAites, I am fortunate enough to have a nice 62 K Ghia Cabriolet. I am hoping to throw a Sapphire I into the stock opening for purity, but I need my CD's FM,etc. Any suggestions short of glove compartment for mounting the unit. Where to put the speakers? Anyone have any ideas out there?? The remotes on newer radios are all infra red. Gotta point to 'em. Love to have a real radio Frq remote and put the unit under the back seat. Put on thinking caps please. Any Ghia success stories? Eric

Reply to
Eric

I have a sililiar problem with my '71, though I've ruled out putting it in the glove-box or mounting it inder the dash. The existing radio slot rectangle has to be enlarged slightly to fit CD receivers, probably 1/4 -

1/2 an inch. Does anybody have any suggestions for that without destroying the dash.

Re the speakers, I have mine in the convertible latch covers.

Reply to
Steve Mc

There are some kits that are sold almost anywhere that allow install of the stereo in the glove box. I haven't used it cause my cd player is in dash. As far as speakers install goes, cb and others sell abs plastic kick panels that install over the sides in the front on top of the wheel wheals. Those are nothing to write home about. You would need to pull carpet and either rivet or screw them onto the body. Which is not the best option if you don't want to molest your car with extra wholes.... Also they don't fit to well so you have to modify them and they will ratle with a slight beat of bass. I even had foam tape runing all the way around the edge of panel, didn't help much, as there is no way to secure the top edge of the panel.

probably the best option for front speakers is to custom make kicker panels, either out of fiber glass or wood. On ghia, I think you might have enough space to fit 5" speakers in the doors, just look for low profile speakers.

Ant> I have a sililiar problem with my '71, though I've ruled out putting it in

Reply to
anton

Steve Mc kirjoitti:

Most modern radios still don't fit in the dash, the windshield wiper mechanism and fresh air box controls are in the way. You can't shove the radio all the way in... need almost an inch more room, depending on radio model.

So don't butcher the dash.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

radios still don't fit in the dash, the windshield wiper

Reply to
Flea

Eric you might want to think about what I did on my 64 beetle, You can get an original 6v /12v am/fm radio and install a cd changer under the back seat.

I have a customer that just bought an original am/fm/sw radio from someone in Ca. that retails them and will find out if you want to go this way.

Mario Vintage Werks resto.

Reply to
Kafertoys

you might consider using an mp3 player... they are small and easily hidden, hold lot's of music, and can easily be connected to a stereo system.

jjd

Reply to
jdowling

I saw a stereo I though about getting... it has a USB port in it.... so I can plug in my flash drive - no need for CD's then.... just plug in and play mp3's

Reply to
dragenwagen

I bought my wife an Ipod that holds a good bunch of MP3 songs, you get the free software from the internet to convert and upload your own cd's, and you can buy mp3's online or get them however you want.. load them up on th Ipod and then buy a 30-40 dollar radio transmitter for it.. that's what she has. Choose a clear, non-used radio frequency on the head unit and program the same frequency to the transmitter, and ta-daa! You have a radio station that plays your own music.

Transmitter range is around 6ft, but they may work even 20ft away. Not that it matters in a bug ;)

Cool thing is, you can use the same Ipod&transmitter combo with any radio... car, home, office.....

Jan

jd-drafter@home kirjoitti:

Reply to
Jan

Well, I finally broke down and decided to have a new AM/FM CD player installed in the dash of my '71 Ghia convertible. All it needed was a minor trimming of the original opening. I didn't want to trust it to Circuit City-type chain, so I had it installed by an audio stereo place. No problems with the fluid resevior or the windshield wiper motor. And it sounds great. It's still going to take some culture re-learning to get used to seeing a modern-looking thing on the dash ( as opposed to my dead casette), but I needed my tunes. I got a Sony CDX-GT310. $119 at Circuit City. Detachable face (but I guess they all have that now). It's satellite-ready, has 7 graphic equalizer settings including a custom one, has an MP3 player plug in the front, and a CD changer plug in the rear. I did already have a CD changer in the trunk, but it's an RF model which doesn't connect directly to the new player, so I still have to use the RF controller, which I have in the glove-box. The player also plays MP3 disks, so I haven't even needed my changer yet.

Reply to
Steve Mc