Sticking Igntion

When i put the key in ( most the time) i can't get it to turn. I have to really finesse it, and sometimes it takes close to 5 mins. What part/Parts do i need to fix this prob? Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

It sounds like the key and/or the pins in the cylinder are worn down. So you would either need a key and/or a new ignition switch. I just went thru replacing mine due to not having a key. I found a whole steering column at a swap meet for $10 with a key that worked properly. This was for a '77 type

  1. I needed the ignition switch and the housing for the switch due to buggering up the one I had trying to get the switch out. It took me all of about an hour to do the change out after replacing the broken shaft on the one from the swap meet. But the gas tank was not in my way as it is not in the bug right now. It all depends on what you have as to how much work is going to be involved. You didn't state what you had.

Of course it could just be dirt and grime in the cylinder preventing the springs from doing their job of returning the pins to the correct position. Maybe a little bit of oil in the cylinder would help? No to much though as the electrical part of the switch is below the cylinder [depending on what you have].

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

its a 73 standard beetle.

will that work?? I guess it would suck to have 2 keys... one for doors, one for ignition. What other options do i have? Thanks ~peace~Justin

Nxqzablesk8er

hmmm i think i could figure that out. But is that cylinder what i would need? Is it that hard to swap out? Thanks ~Peace~Justin

Nxqzablesk8er

Trying to figure mine out I ended up busting it up. That's why I had to get a new switch housing. Then came the steering column. After breaking up the switch housing it looked like it is not a problem putting a new one in. You just can't get the old one out that I know of....

I still have not found if there is a special tool or trick to remove the old cylinder. It was much easier to find a replacement column at a swap meet with a key that works. Then rekey the door locks to match the ignition key.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

I live in a small town in Cali. I have no clue where a swap would be.

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

What city in Cali?

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

santa cruz

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

Different years have different tricks. The Bentley manual covers all of them.

-

Jim Adney

What does it say for a 77 Type 1?

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
>cylinder. It was much easier to find a replacement column at a swap meet> >with a key that works. Then rekey the door locks to match the ignitionkey.
Reply to

Reply to

Never mind. When I can afford to go out and buy the book I will. I'll look the information up myself then. I'm not that damn lazy. Gotta pay the truck repairs off before I can go out and get more vw stuff. Including manuals... $1115 in repairs to the truck. $0 in the bank. The bug must wait. If I had the book I would look the info up myself. Sorry I asked...

> Uhhh..., so you would like me to go and study up on this so I can> digest it all for you and then type it in so you don't have to bother> looking it up for yourself?>
Reply to