Stock Distributor vacuum can questions

Hello Ramva!, I have a dual vacuum dizzy that I'd like to fix. (Bosch number 0 231 176 048, VW number 021 905 205 A-B) I already cleaned it and it looks great. Except for one thing. The vacuum can doesn't work. Can I just replace it with a single vacuum can? Will the arm move the same with the different vacuum unit? I have a single vacuum, single advance dizzy laying around that is working perfectly, (Bosch number 0

231 137 035, VW number 113 905 205 T) can I use the vacuum unit from this dizzy in the first one?

This dizzy is going into an all stock 1300cc engine (solex 30 pict-1 carb) that I plan to have as a spare. What else can you tell me about this two distributors? which one is better for this application?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls

I did the same thing with a single vacuum can from Aircooled.net but it wasn't a direct replacement. I had to put an S-bend in the arm to get it to line up when it was mounted and there was a gap at the top. I filled the gap with silicone sealer and the distributor is working fine on my bug.

If I had to do it again, I would have drilled a new pair of mounting holes to give the part the proper orientation. If there's any chance the distributor has problems, a whole new one from Aircooled.net would be the way to go.

T> Hello Ramva!, I have a dual vacuum dizzy that I'd like to fix. (Bosch

Reply to
Anthony W

Your 30 pic carb delivers a completely different vacuum signal. The 113T dist is the correct one for a 30 carb. It is vacuum ONLY advance. It has no centrifugal advance. Beetle 1970 * 1600 Manual Trans

Distributor: VW 113-905-205T, Bosch 0231 137 036 Coil: 00 015 (Blue Coil: 00 012) Vacuum Can: 07 024 Timing Set At:: 0deg TDC @ 800-950rpm w/strobe w/vacuum hose disconnected and plugged Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum (Advance Only): 17-19deg @ 1.3 In. Hg, 32-35deg @

3.2 In. Hg This vacuum unit is very large, because of the vacuum signal. Do not put it on the 021 A-B dist. The A-B dist was designed for:

Bus & Pickup 1975-Early 1976 * 1800 (75), 2000 (76) Manual Trans

Distributor: VW 021-905-205AB, 0231 176 048, 022-905-205AB, 0231 181 012 Coil: 00 012 Vacuum Can: 07 125 Timing Set At:: 5deg ATDC @ 800-950 rpm w/strobe, vacuum hose(s) connected Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8-11deg Adv @ 7.9 In. Hg, 11-13deg Ret @7.9 In. Hg; Centrifigual:

11-17deg @ 2000 rpm, 21-25deg @ 3600 rpm There is no way a 30 pic carb will put out enough vacuum to give you any vacuum advance. The 30 pic puts out a max of about 3.5 inches.

Years ago, when the vacuum unit died, the dist had zero advance. So some brainchild came out with the 'Screamer Kit'. It contained a 009 dist and the blue coil. The engine screamed because it now had advance!

I do not advocate a 009 whatsoever, but in your case: If the 113T dist is totally not usable then you will either need to use the 009 or shop around for a good used 113T.

The above dist specs come from here:

Someone else mentioned a SVDA dist. But using a 30 pic carb means the SV part will not work. Go to this link and scroll down:
You will see that 3.5 inches of HG gives you 1 degree of advance using the Bruck and none using the OEM dist.

The SVDA works on the 34 pic carbs on DP engines. The vacumm signal map is correct for it.

Reply to
Karl