Stragne sound from wheel areas

Hullo all,

I have a mysterious sound I have been trying to track down for months, finally decided to ask ramva, someone might have had a similar problem.

When I drive on rough roads I hear tiny noises that sound like loose hub caps. I removed the hub caps to see whether it made a difference but it didn't. Sounds like something in the suspension.

Anyone out there who has had similar and found the problem?

Cheers, Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

Check the bushes in the shock absorbers. They wear out and the mounting stud/bolt hits the shock absorber. Steering damper shock same thing but not so pronounced. John

Reply to
John

I had heard a similar sound and just assumed it was a bearing going loose. I never checked any further. Good Luck and Keep that VW alive!

Reply to
one who waits

Loose hubcaps or a rattling in the hubcabs ? Is it a ticking noise ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Yes, it does sound like a ticking noise. Seems to coincide with every bump, however small. Its not very loud, actually only really easy to hear if you put your head out or go past a big bus or wall.

This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as suggested by John.

Joseph

PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.

Reply to
klashniv

You didn't happen to just do a brake job or put new wheels on did you ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Amazing to try to guess what is wrong without more facts. I am not even sure which aircooled VW the OP is talking about. Maybe I missed the vitals! ;-)

Is this a 1967 or 1968 Beetle?

This weekend I will check the bushes in the shock absorbers as suggested by John.

Joseph

PS: Hubcaps are off for now, till I track down the noise.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Sorry,

Should have mentioned, its a 1966 vw beetle (aircooled :))

Joseph

Reply to
klashniv

No, haven't changed anything with regards to wheel/tyres/suspension

Joseph '66 beetle

Reply to
klashniv

I was thinking the Z bar was bad or the bushings were, but I don't think the '66 Beetles had the Z bar.

Can you pinpoint the noise with your ear? Do you hear it in the rear or the front.

I agree with others to check the shock bushings. Also check the rear body mounting points close to the rear shocks. I have had to change those bushings on a few Beetles to stop a bumping noise.

Should have mentioned, its a 1966 vw beetle (aircooled :))

Joseph

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If he had done a brake job or had the hub off I would ask about the backing plate... could it be rubbing the drum with slight flex/side motion?

Reply to
KWW