stripped lower door hinge

Hi gang, Got a question. How do i fix a stripped lower drivers side door hinge nut plate? Do i cut a hole in the insideand replace or??????? Thanks!!! Shawn East snipped-for-privacy@sw.rr.com

Reply to
Shawn

Damn!.............there's a small problem................

I haven;t ever seen one of those stripped out...........rusted out, but never stripped.

I suppose you are familiar with the way they look. The lower ones are a booger to get out. But I am sure it can be done with some sweat and perseverance...............I've tossed a many nut plate in the trash whilst cuttin' up bugs and know how they're mounted..........not impossible.

I would bet that the first thing to do is pull the rest of the screws out and remove the door. Then get under the hood (if it helps with clearance, remove the hood) and pull the (I can't believe I'm telling anyone to do this ) heater/defrost tube out of the cavern adjacent to the hinges, and get ready for some contorting of your arm and a lot of patiance. I would recommend that you push a coat hanger through the screw hole and work the nut plate out of its mount. It might even be beneficial to run three wires through , one through each hole, to help with the re-alignment of the plate later.

Now Go and tend to all the wounds you have and rest up.

Afterward, installation will be done by reversing the steps, except put the hanger/s through the replacement nut plate before dropping it down to the location it bellongs, and work the nut plate into position, once again using those contortion moves you have mastered in the first half of the operation, provided you haven't cut yourself to shreds.

The hardest part of the entire operation will be getting the heater'defroster tube back in place without munging it up real bad.

Good luck to you.............How'd you strip that damn thing?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 02:35:04 GMT, MUADIB® scribbled this interesting note:

I have to disagree with you here. The hardest part will be paying the hospital bill after he develops lock-jaw from all those super sharp screw shank nails they used to install the carpeting!:~)

Take care. If Scott says it can be done this way, believe him. But do be careful. You will hurt yourself.

John Willis

Shawn,

Have a look here it may help to show you what your up against

Grahame from Aus

Reply to
Grahame Rumballe

Try to run a tap through the hole to clean the threads up. A lot easier than replacing it.

Reply to
Mel P.

these are some really good pictures of the area you'll be working on, without the objects that will be in your way.............replace the "42" and the "45" with numbers as far back as "29" and there are more pictures for your perusal. most are not as good as those two.

Hope this helps also

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Well i have no idea how it got boogered up...took old door off without a problem, screws came out pretty easy, and when i went to put new door on...well it didnt go on too easy so i took it off andsaw it was boogered up. That damn gremlin again. ill try to run a tap before i try to do it. I talked to earl mann in ardmore ok and said it would run about 200-300$ to replace...hope tap or long arms work!!!

Reply to
Shawn