Stripped oil plate studs

Any one know which oversized replacement studs I need to order for the oil sump plate? Is it 8x6x31mm, 8x6x23mm, 10x8x35mm or 10x8x38? Any help would be greatly appreciated..... 2 of them stripped out in the case and it leaks real bad now. The PO must have torqued them down too much, I recall it calling for some miniscule torque in the book.

Thanks.... Mac

Reply to
Mac

If all else fails you could thread a bolt through from the inside, coat it with a thread sealant or lock....

J.

Reply to
BergRace

I thought about just putting them in with JB Weld or something similar but would prefer doing it as right as possible.

Reply to
Mac

Would it help if I sent you the links that I got those numbers from?

Reply to
Mac

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

Those studs are M6 x 1 threads. The best repair is to helicoil the stripped hole and reinstall the original stud with loctite. This problem started to crop up enough that I've made a jig to align the drill and tap when I do these.

I THINK the most common cause of this is aftermarket cap nuts which are not fully tapped deep enough to thread freely onto the studs as far as they should. Instead they bind up about a thread short of being "tight" and then force the stud to turn.

-

Jim Adney