stuck caliper

I had a caliper stuck. It turned out to be the hoses. The pressure of the master cylinder would force the fluid through the hose to engage the caliper but when the pressure stopped, the hose closed with the pressure remaining on the brake resulting in smoke and lots of heat. Never had that happen before.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Very common when the hoses reach the ripe old age of a qtr-century.

And it's just as likely to happen with shoe cylinders as with disc calipers.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

href="

">Den's> 1977 Puma

Old hoses deteriorating inside out, not extremely common, but does happen, and not related to VW alone. Have seen it on older Euro cars like Fiats etc..

Unless you know whats happening it can be frustrating fault seeking..

But you caught it, good on you! :o)

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

I can't blow through the hose at all. I think I will cut it open tomorrow to see how it looks.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

It's a fairly common problem now that these cars are getting old. The common symptom is that when you open the bleed valve, not much comes out unless you pump the pedal.

With a system in good condition, gravity alone will produce a rather healthy flow.

-

Jim Adney