Suggestions on dymanic balancing engine

I've been collecting up parts for a 1915 (69x94) and was expecting to send the lot to Raby and have him do his best (balance job)... but having taken a year out to bury a father and wife... now that I return I find he nolonger accepts T.1 motors. Any suggestion on where I should turn? I'm looking for a 6500-7000rpm motor, ie, (very) well balanced.

thanks, greg 71T2 64baja 67T1 (69T1 "very bad bug" in process)

Reply to
greg mushial

i waited too long too... Jake says that he will still accept *some* type 1 work, but the parts must be high quality original type parts... he says if it's chinese, most likely it isn't going on his machine...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Many thanks on the heads up - will try to contact him and see if the parts are up to snuff (hope so since they're mostly top-of-the-line parts). greg

Reply to
greg mushial

Try Dan Hall's machine shop in Portland, OR. He did mine and it's very smooth.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Many thanks for the heads up. What type of out-of-balance numbers was he able to get down to? Likewise - what type of rpm range did you tune your motor for? Or, asked differently: where do you set the "redline". I'm looking to build a motor with max torque in the 4500-5000rpm range, max hp 1500-2000 rpm above that, ie, expecting to get rearwheel torque via gearing (not a long stroke).

again, thanks, greg

Reply to
greg mushial

Suggestions on EXCELLENT shops in Florida needed too.... Someplace that knows aircooleds.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I had it done a long time ago and I don't remember the specs. This engine sat in my bedroom closet for 10 years waiting for me to finish it up. Now that it's done, it does everything I wanted from it. I don't have a tach yet but it'll easily pull over 65 MPH in third. My local VW shop said that was around 5000 RPM. I'm also running 88mm (machine in) cylinders with forged pistons and an Engle #100 cam.

I would have liked to have gotten a forged counter balanced crank but at over $500 bucks (back then) I chose to have the balance job done for $125 over the rest of the work I was being done at the time.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W