Super Beetle Body Holder ( say that fast )

Does anyone have any pictures or diagrams of something good for setting the body of my super beetle on. I was going to just build a square frame out of wood and put some casters on it, but the drivers side rocker is shot and I'm not sure how well it would set on there, and I'll need to get at the spot to weld in the new metal.

This is my first body off with a beetle so I'm into some new territory here.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jason

69 Convertible ( autostick ) 72 Super ( manual )
Reply to
JJW69Bug

I would replace the rusty heater channel before removing the body. At least then there is some strength in the car and it is less likely to flex.

When replacing the channel, brace the doors too.

-- Howard Rose

1966 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe 1975 Volkswagen 1303S 1962 Austin Mini Seven
Reply to
Howard Rose

I have read recently on VZi, which obviously doesn't mean it true, that people are doing heater channels without the firm bracing across door before cutting. They are suggesting something along the lines of extreme measuring to get the body straight.....scares me though

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

When I did mine - I braced it when the body was off - then I cut the old heater chanel out - bolted the new chanel to the floor - lowerd the body back on - removed the brace - 'ajusted' things until everything fitted properly (like the door and posts) - then I tacked the chanel to the posts - unbolted from the floor - raised the body again and welded fully.

worked a treat !

Reply to
tricky

I've braced my door by welding a steel brace in the opening - it is welded on one side but bolted to the seat belt mount. The middle of this brace has turnbuckle so I can fine tune the opening.

Initially, with the bottom of my driver's post rotted out, I couldn't properly close the door. With this turnbuckle and a floor jack, I'm pretty sure I can get it back in line when the channels are back in.

The body is sitting on large dolly made out of some 2x6 lumber. Most of the weight is supported just under the door posts.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

If you'r doing "off pan" work on your body you may find something along the lines of the rotisserie I put togeather to rebuild our Jeep useful-

It works great for Tonka, whos in a far greater state of diss-assembly than any bug is likely to ever be. I think it would work pretty well for working on a VW, should be easy to get/keep everything straight on it.

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer