Tap, tap, tap

OK, my '69 Beetle with a 1600 DP has always had a fairly loud tap, tap, tap when running. I figured it was valve adjustment. I've done a couple of valve adjustments before, but the problem has persisted. Today, I decided to roll the Bug out into the sun, grabbed a 13mm and a flathead screwdriver and decided to do it all correctly and not hurriedly.

Cranked the engine around until the rotor lined up with the #1 notch on the dizzy and the timing mark that I had to add to my pulley (because it didn't have any on the correct side) lined up with the crankcase split. Then, I cranked it around another 180 degrees so I could do the #4 cylinder first. Huh? One of the valves is open. Scratching head. Well, crank the engine around some more until they're both closed. Strange. Oh well, go ahead and adjust valves, one cylinder at a time, cranking the engine until both valves are closed on the subject cylinder. Do all four cylinders, then check them again, tweaking when necessary.

Start the engine up and it's running a bit quieter than before. Good! Drive down the road and once it's warm...tap, tap, tap, tap. Any ideas? Only taps when it's warm. Cold, it runs really smooth. I would've assumed the opposite.

Oh, and the mark I had to make to the pulley along with the strange valve orientation? I found out that someone had put the dizzy gear in 90 degrees off. So, the #2 plug wire is on the spot where the notch is. The #1 is on clockwise next, then #4, then #3. That problem's solved, at least. I assume with everything lined up properly, as such, that this won't hurt anything else?

TIA,

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

Only problem is lack of lubrication to the dizzy.... the slot that gets oils splashed to would not align with the slot in the case...

(fixing it, as I read in a book, involves ifumbling with a long screwdriver, greased washers and some strong language)

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I think that's only a problem if the entire distributor is off by quite a bit. It's actually sitting about where it normally should. Standing behind the car and looking straight down at the distributor, the notch is at about

4 o'clock, same as on my correctly assembled '71 SB. The plugs are just rotated around 90 degrees on the cap (i.e. the #1 plug is at 7 o'clock).

According to Speedy Jim's site, having the plugs on different holes (assuming in the right firing order) is not a problem. So, unless Jim says otherwise here, I'll assume it's OK.

screwdriver,

Reply to
Malcolm

Then its just like mine :) dizzy itself is in the correct position, the shaft is installed 180 degrees off so marks dont line up...

Should not be a problem if you have a dizzy that does not retard number 3 cilinder. If you have one of those, you should fix it...

(I have learned a lot reading here :))))

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I, too, learn a lot here. No, it's a plain old 009, so it should be fine.

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

My '70 1600 makes tapping noises when hot also, I just assumed it's a mechanically loud engine.

Reply to
Douglas

That's what I'm thinking, too. It's not running exceptionally hot or anything. I've checked it after running for a while by feeling the dipstick and its not any more than just warm - nowhere near burning my fingers hot. I keep up with oil changes (just changed it a couple hundred miles ago) and use straight 30W oil in it during the winter, at least (southern climate -

50's to 70's during the day).

The 1600 DP in our '71 SB isn't quite as loud.

Malcolm '69 Bug (Gus) '71 SB (Herbie)

Reply to
Malcolm

I had a distributor that I needed to run 180 degrees off because of clearance problem with the vacuum can. Speedy Jim reminded me of the oiling issue, so I drilled a new oil feed hole where it lines up. Easy fix.

- Dave

exceptionally hot or

feeling the dipstick

my fingers hot. I

miles ago) and

(southern climate -

assumed it's a

Reply to
Busahaulic

Its a bug, whadiya expect? If i dont hear that annoying tapping sound in the morning my day goes all wrong... :-)

Reply to
BugThug