That mystery noise solved

I've been going crazy trying to figure out the source of a strange grinding/screaching/springy noise at the rear of my wife's 69 bug. It was loud enough that it would draw attention from other drivers. I assumed it was something dragging in the brakes (parking brake cable?) but pulling the brake made no difference. Next i figured loose lug nuts or a bad bearing. I tightened the lug nuts... no help. I removed the lug nuts and greased them and put them back in, slightly better but noise still there. Next, I removed the cotter pin thinking I'd check the brakes for something out of order. Examining the cotter pin, I noticed a gouge and a shaving of metal hanging from it. On a whim, I decided to grease the cotter pin and put it back into place. No more noise!!! I would have never believed a single cotter pin could make that much noise if I hadn't seen it. Not sure why, but the noise is gone. ???

-tom

Reply to
Vic20Owner

Hmmmmmmmmmm Methinks I would check that the axle nut is torqued to 250 Ft-Lbs.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You had better tighten the nut by the sounds of that... you'll need new brake drums soon otherwise!

Allan :-)

Reply to
Allan Williams

DOH!! (runs from keyboard out to car)