that shudder.

esp. when the engine is cold, letting out the clutch get the car a shakin'. yes, I put more "sag" in the bowden tube. It is less severe after warming up the motor. I suspect oil on the clutch linings. any other ideas. Possible to check the trans mount while its all together?

Reply to
troll

-Oil on clutch/flywheel

-Broken thrustbearing fork

-Broken thrustbearing retainig clip

-Soft/broken trans.-mounts

You can inspect the trans.-mounts with engine in car by applying load with a floor jack whilst looking at the mounts. Also inspect the front mount, same method but move floor jack underneath transmission.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

hey, thanks. It's so hard to keep an 39 y.o. car as a daily driver.

Reply to
troll

=2E. =2E. Shakin VW

1) Please forgive my stupidity.

2) I have seen many, many, many times the report that oil on the clutch disc, flyweel, or pressure plate will make the clutch "shake, rattle and roll", otherwise known as making the Beetle chatter.

3) My basic simple logic made me think the oil would make the clutch "slip" rather than "shake, rattle and roll".

4) Please help me to understand. My bra> On Thu, 29 May 2008 05:14:43 +0200, troll =A0=

Reply to
rvirgin22

I've had it happen too, and not just in VW's.

I think what happens is with some oil on the clutch instead of slipping evenly as it engages it slips/grabs/slips/grabs until it actually engages.

Jeff DeWitt

rvirg> ..

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt