the cocacola myth

Hi

I still keep getting guys telling me how clean n shiny my rusty bolts would end if I put them for a night on coke (large, no ice). I've never tried this, but it all sounds like bogus science to me. Has anybody tried this?

Ant

Reply to
Ant

leave them in to long and yes it will break down the metal. but there are better ways to clean metal

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

It's not bogus. Coke is a bit acidic, and will eat away at metal (and rust), given enough time.

Soda cans have a thin plastic lining inside them to prevent corrosion, in school as a little tyke we submerged a six pack in soda and a couple weeks later there was nothing left but some very flat soda and plastic film.

If you ever want to scare your kids from drinking soda, next time one of them loses a tooth put the tooth and some coke in a glass, let sit for a week and fish the tooth out. Or what's left of it. ;)

Reply to
Seth Graham

I drink lots of coke and my bolt and nuts are all rust free.

Geez, I'm a smart ass some days. Or a dumb ass. Or both.

Randy

RSMEINER

I've been using electrolysis for years.

A big bowl of water, and a little plumbing cleaner (anything with lye in it).

This makes the water conduct electricity better.

More info:

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Be carefull. If you get the electrodes backwards you will grow hair on your palms. (Is that one too obscure?)

Reply to
jjs

There is a method of hair removal called electrolysis, and you know that if you reverse the polarity of electrolysis it plates instead of removing.

*sigh*. It's 2:15am. Bedtime!
Reply to
jjs

Lol, yes :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Here's my old version of this method.... Decide for yourself

vwluvrs