The Engine Drop

Well, yesterday was so nice in Bama that I started having problems with my eyes!!! I just could not see my way to work!! LOL

So, while being ****COUGH****** off sick, I dropped the engine in my bug. Start to finish, all alone ( Well the 3yr old son did help ) took me about

3 hours. I used my home made engine dolly to set it on and roll it out from under the bug. I took the driver's side rear tire off and it does save several inches of jacking.

Now the fun of disassembly can begin at my leisure. I plan on checking the top end out and making sure that everything is set right ( ie compression ratio, valves and such) and investigate some oil leaks.

I did find one small problem, the spring clips that hold the throwout bearing in place, one had fallen out. I put it back in and found that it will come out very easy. Should I just use some wire on it to keep it in place? Or is there another trick to keep these in place? The other side seems to hold just fine and does not slide in and out.

I am also going to replace the rear tranny mounts. Got the stock replacements from Aircooled.net.

Now to find the time and money to get my bug back on the road. Money should not be a big restrictor as I hope to only have to buy a few low dollar items, but you never know till you crack it open or would that be open the can of worms......????

Reply to
TerryB