The Real Source Swap meet was OK

After a long winter, hundreds of people showed up in Effingham for the swap meet put on by The Real Source.. There were not as many swap booths as a summer show, but considering it was the first spring show/swap meet they has put on the turnout was good. It was great to root around in greasy old boxes for the needed treasure. The weather was perfect (for Illinois in spring), and the food was marginal. Shell Tomlinson was there with a booth for the VW Club of America. The Corvette folks were there too (no fighting, the cars are too different). A 1984 Brazillian Combi was there for sale for $2,200. 00 An interesting combination of old an new, with very little rust. Like many Midwest shows, there were a few rusted POS for sale, the kind that the California guys wouldn't think were even worth junking, much less restoring. Also your later nightmare was an Invader GT "Project" that from a distance looked interesting, but on closer inspection you could see where most of the chassis work had been done poorly and would have to be done again. ($800.00, no takers). A couple of better cars too were sold. The swap meet was a 450 mile round trip for me. I came home with an $8.00 emergency flasher switch. Was it worth it? Ya, it was............ Jim Schield

Reply to
JSchield

lol Thanks for the review JSchield. I was just too lazy to make the 410mile trip down there. I did think about it though. ;-) How many people do you think came to this show? Was it really packed or everything was sparse with people?

I might go to the one they have in June. And I will probably hit Mofoco too esp. since it is closer.

Did you notice what was selling well? I might want to sell at one of the shows to get rid of my junk...oops...I mean treasure. :-) BTW I need an emergency flasher switch for a 69 Beetle Conv.

thanks, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave-- An early lighted emergency switch is what I got at the show! There were maybe 40-45 booths (some were vett's, and one Porsche) A little bit of everything sold, No one is buying rusty and crusty stuff. I can't guess the attendees About 500, maybe a little more. They should have attendance posted on their web site soon.

Reply to
JSchield

WOW about 40-50 booths, and I will assume some Chevy and some VW but that sounds like it was a pretty good turn out! I will have to go to one of them as a spectator and not a seller. lol thanks JSchield. ;-) later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave