Them Front Flaps

When the bus is moving a surprising amount of cool air comes in through the dash and defroster vents even when the blue levers are shoved into the fully upright and locked position. I can't figure out why this should be. The flaps behind the front grilles open and close as they should and I see rubber on them flaps.

What's the Collective Wisdom on this? I could seal the flaps with duct tape and see if air is still venting in. A good place to start?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Mike at this rate youll be a bus expert. Seems your have been all through it and have a question for every part. Wish I could help more but all I know is bugs. Sounds like you either got a hole in the front pushing air in or a hole in the back pulling air out there by pulling new air in...

Tim

Reply to
Tim

What about applied logics? Try to think your way through the path of the air flow, and imagine the shutters, not too much asked is it?? Being a sarcastic bastard here, basicly, think! before posting.... Long before (as in 15 years atleast) I joined this group, I had bought and read every single book, manual and owners manual available to me in Scandinavia, and whilst a one year stint in the states...

These days it seems like the pleasure of reading /learning is long forgotten, perhaps this is why I'm just a lazy OT: poster nowadays...???

Basic knowledge is mandatory to own an older vehicle, unless you are very very rich... If that is so, I envy you!

You have a good night sleep y'all.

J.

And for the rest of ,you are to take a seminar of RAMSTEIN und LAIBACH.

Reply to
BergRace

....................I just did a google search for "ramstein und laibach" and came up empty. If it isn't on google, I'm lost.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Yah, yah -- I am, I am. But no sense re-inventing the wheel. If this is a common problem, a Known Issue, some flaw in the design that has been described and solved long ago, I'd like to hear about it.

I'm readin' it all, all I can get my hands on. This is a family vehicle, one I use to drive the kids to school with in the mornings. So while I'd like to solve everything myself after much research, I'm also lazy/resourceful/opportunistic enough to ask for help whenever possible in order to speed the process.

Nope, not rich. Just learning as fast as I can, getting a sense of pride when I accomplish a repair or solve a problem. And asking questions -- no crime in that, I hope?

The same to you!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Sooooo what came of this post. I have a 72 bus (dialed) and the only flaw currently is the damn breeze that hits me every once in a while. Specifically when I'm in the Sierra's. Brrrrrr. Any help technically speaking would help. Thanks.

Hippopotabus

Hippopotabus -- great name.

I'm gonna tape up my intake doors and see what effect it has and will post the results. Maybe someone else has something they've learned about this they can post?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Your name reminds me of the time I had 2 squirrels in my bus when I lived in Joshua Tree. They moved at night. I'd hear them come in from a hole in my floor board just below the drivers seat frame. They'd spend most of their time looking for crumbs I dropped while driving. Needless to say I let em be cause they were keeping me company and it was winter in the desert. Anyways, let me know what comes of your experiment. I'm going to Yosemite this weekend and I'll try the duct tape approach. I'm also going to stuff the intake (from the flaps to the inside of the bus) with water heater installation material (stuff keeps everything warm and helps deaden sound vibration.

Thanks Hippo

Reply to
Hippopotabus

Hey -- have a great trip to the Sierra. What do you do this time of the year there? Getting a bit cold for backpacking, isn't it?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Ilambert

Winter Ascents, Hot Tubs, Drink Sierra Nevada's and enjoying the Hippo in a beautiful setting.

Maybe I'll post her picture. She tends to be a little camara shy.

Reply to
Hippopotabus

Sneak up on her. But be careful -- hippos can be aggressive if they think their territory is being invaded.