Thermal Barrier Coatings?

I want to apply a Thermal Barrier Coating to the exhaust ports on the cylinder heads. Do anyone knows if it is possible to do this myself, without specialized equipment? Is there a product that I could - for instance - spray on the port surfaces and then bake it?

Thanks,

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

After some more search, I found that Techline has a product for this job, the TLHB coating. Anyone knows of an online shop that sells Techline products?

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Bill, do you mean the inside or outside of the ports? (Just darned curious.)

Reply to
jjs

The inside surface of the exhaust port runners on the heads and the back of the exhaust valve. This way the heat from the exhaust gases transfered to the head could be reduced, resulting a cooler running head.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 22:42:32 +0300, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" ran around screaming and yelling:

don't know if I personally would do the back of the valves...that may affect the very much *needed* heat transfer from the valve to the valve seat...without that burned valves are a definite possibility.. JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I didn't mean the area of contact between the valve and seat, but the the rough unmachined (on the stock valves) surface of the valve which is exposed in the exhaust port. The valve can still cool though the valve seat and valve guide. I haven't heard of anyone using a ceramic thermal barrier coating on ACVW engine heads, which seems to be a very desirable improvement, allthough it's quite common on watercooled engines.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:44:35 +0300, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" ran around screaming and yelling:

It just wasn't clear in the writing that you did not mean the seating area...wheewwww...sorry... JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani