This CAN'T be for real

Float from the Solex Brosol (Kadron)

http://

Is it supposed to look like that? It does float.

Reply to
John

I could screw up a wet dream. Use this one:

John

Nope, it is not supposed to look like that. I do not know what caused it to "implode" like that. Not sure if I remember the whole tread, but you had running problems with one cylinder bank, yes? If so, you have found the cause. It would seriously disturb fuel level in the carb, making it run richer(I think) than the other side.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Who took the hammer to it ?

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

You were right all the time. I finally got time to remove the carb, as if it was a big deal (one minute job). It was pretty messed up. Someone had used gorilla snot on the gas spigot and there were little rubber balls in the filter. Plus the nuts holding the carb to the manifold were almost finger-tight and the gasket there was swollen loose with pieces in the small vacuum holes at the bottom of the carb. I purged the carb, blew out the passages. One was choked up.

I ordered a couple rebuild kits from John at aircooled.net

Thanks for all the help. How the float got that way is a mystery. Maybe the PO put it in his back pocket. Wait! Where was Mario that day?

Reply to
John

I blame Mario. Why not?

Reply to
John

Oh, the bondo fell off it then.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

The first Harley Davidson engine used part of a tomato can for the float. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I have seen it before on brass floats, just cant seem to remember where/when..

There is a logical explanation to it. It involves a small leak and temp. difference , yes?

I hope others can chime in, cause I do not seem to be able to recollect at the moment.

A wild theory: Stored outside during winter with water in one carb.. (I know that is not it).

The last one I saw like yours where from a carb used on an old inboard boat engine.

J. Maybe

Reply to
Berg

It did not have a float. The carb WAS a modified tomato can. It was an obvious, economical solution: someone had already supplied a steel cylinder, so they went for it.

In fact, I ran a carb with no float bowl on a Panhead, and it was available earlier than that. (We're talking fifties here.) It was the precursor to what became the Lectron brand name. A sliding aperture in a tube with a tapered needle valve coupled to the slide. Right now it's on display at a local bike shop to screw with Yuppies' heads.

Reply to
John