This damn backfiring

Ok after a lot of playing about with the engine i still cant seem to find the cause to my backfiring. The symptoms are, when cold i.e just started on the pull away and subsiquent gear changes the engine cracks and pops. Once warm the only backfiring is between gear changes but arent as loud as they are when cold. When it comes to the end of my journey and after switching off the engine it will backfire once again the loudness of this is dependant on how warm the engine has become on the journey.

Engine:

1914cc twin dual webber 44IDF's Electronic ign Engle 110 cam

Things i have tried:

Valve clearances Carb synchronisation mixture

One theory i have is that it is running too rich and not burning all the fuel, the unburnt fuel then sits in a sharp bend in the exhaust and the heat from the exhaust ignites it. Dont know what else to do.The mixture setting does seem to play a big part in what happens but as yet i havent been able to get it right. Any help would be great!

Reply to
Paul Soames

How have you set the ignition timing? One cause of backfiring is leaks in the exhaust manifold eg. if the manifold is loose on the heads.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

I beleive the ignition is set to the correct settings, i adjusted it so that at max advance the reading is 32 degrees BTDC.

Reply to
Paul Soames

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:42:01 +0300, "Olli Lammi" ran around screaming and yelling:

I'm with Olli again....when ever you have afterfire in a vw, most of the time it is an exhaust leak...start there then work backwards....(forwards? LOL) JT

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Look for exhaust leaks, the "burns in the pipe" requires oxygen to be present. It can only get there through a leaking pipe joint somewhere.

What kind of exhaust system is it?

What carb venturi size? Valve sizes?

Jan

Reply to
Jan

The exhaust is a single glass pack, im pretty sure the valves are stock but as for the venturi im affraid i dont know. Thanks for your help though it has given me another place too look. Would this contribute the backfire between gears as well or is that another problem?

Reply to
Paul Soames

Same problem.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Thats kind of a relief!

I will investigate and let you know, thanks to all for your help.

Reply to
Paul Soames

If you have no luck there, I know a harley will perform similar errhant behavior on an intake leak as well.

-Matt '75 hd fx '78 vw bus

Reply to
matthew j henschel

Ok so after spending a moring underneath the car and tightnening up all the exhaust nuts and bolts i took it for a drive. On the first part of the journey i drove to my destination bringing the engine to its normal running temp, switched off the engine and joy no bang! However when i returned home it done it just as loud as it did before.

Could the leak just as easily be on the intake to the heads? Or could the problem be down to jetting?

Reply to
Paul Soames

With the engine cold, start her up and move your hand underneath and around the exhaust. Listen and feel for a leak. You'll know if it's there. How do your spark plugs look? To lean a jet will cause similar symptoms, and eventually melt your pistons.

I'd be sure it wasn't an exhaust leak if I where you, and then using the propane or carb cleaner/wd-40/starter fluid trick, discount an intake leak. If that fails, richen up your jets. If THAT fails, pull out the stops and try voodoo things like higher octane gas or colder spark plugs :-P You sure it's a backfire, and not a knock?

-Matt

Reply to
matthew j henschel

ok so im getting closer to the problem, after playing over the weekend i have reduced it dramatically. First was the mixture (still dont think it is

100% right but im working on it) then i adjusted the idle speed, it was running rather fast at idle about 1500rpm so i knocked it down to 1000 and the backfire is almost gone just a very slight fluff now!

Reply to
Paul Soames

I had the exact same symptoms as you, and after much kicking of myself, I found #3 & #4 plug wires were switched on the cap. The car had enough power to go and would go pretty well, but had the tell tale backfire.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Keenan