Thoughts on low power in 4th gear

Since you guys were dead on with our fuel pump/dead engine issue, my husband thought this might be a good place to post our power loss issue.

We've had this problem in our 74 Bug for a while now (since my husband brought it back to life about 5 years ago after it sat for about 10 years). In 4th gear on hills, it seems to lose more power than it should. I realize that it's expect you'd have to downshift on a hill sometimes but my husband says it seems to have less power than what he remembers when he had it running years ago. Our mechanic friend who does the yearly inspection did a compression test 2 years ago and all checked out reasonably well. Plugs and wires are only about 2,000 miles old. Any thoughts? I'd have thought perhaps worn rings but given that it's only a 4th gear problem and the last compression test did ok, seems strange.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
watson524

Vaccum timing advance/retard system? I see in the manual that some VW's have a switch in the transmission, going to the cutoff valve. Perhaps this is causing the problem with your vehicle.

distributor probably has two vacuum nipples on it. One of them connects by hose to the carb on the left side of engine. This should be on the side pointing away from the distributor.

The nipple that points towards the distributor should go by hose to the cutoff valve on the top of the engine compartment. The other side of the cutoff valve should go by hose to another nipple on the left-side carb.

The cutoff valve is electrically actuated. There are wires coming off of it.

Some VW's have a thermostat in the engine compartment that is part of the system that actuates the cutoff valve. Some have switches in the transmissions (the switch indicates that the transmission is in 4th gear)....

I would try removing the vaccum from the retard nipple on the distributor. Plug it with a small length of hose that has been bent over on itself and wired together.

Take the van out for a drive and see how

4th gear does.

Get a good VW manual and read up on the vaccum advance/retard system. I've never owned one with the transmission switch, but it sounds like your problem may be caused by it.

Rich

Reply to
aiiadict

It's not a van, it's a bug.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

One other thing my husband mentioned is that it's not just on hill that we have this problem. He's noticed there doesn't seem to be any top end power even on flat highways (he used to be able to get the car up to about 100mph - why you'd want to is beyond me - but he's topping out around 78 now).

Reply to
watson524

if you can go 78 on flat hiways, your VW is running well.

Reply to
aiiadict

Points gap maybe ? contact bounce and all that.

A good tune up would be a good start. Plugs leads points condenser rocker gaps dist cap . You know, the attention your bug needs so it doesnt throw a tantrum :-)

And a clean fuel filter incase its starving at hight revs.

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

100MPH ! I think your speedo is finally working !

James

Reply to
Juper Wort