Throttle cable broken - which way to thread replacement?

Was driving home today and made it about halfway here (31miles from my house to work). Was in traffic, had to downshift to 3rd, then hit the gas to accelerate and the pedal dropped to the floor. I've had this happen before in another Beetle and also in a Ford Fiesta so I knew immediately what had happened. I was able to coast into the left lane and then the middle turning lane and into the parking lot of a Pizza Inn. Called my wife and she brought the truck and tow bar and made it home without incident. Ordered a replacement cable from JC Whip-Me. (Yes, I know aircooled.net has a really heavy duty cable but I'm going with JC Whip-Me's "heavy duty" cable. It's supposed to be beefier than stock and a stock cable lasts a long time so I think I'll be ok for a while. I forget what way is easiest to thread the new cable in. From pedal to carb or from carb to pedal? I'm thinking from pedal to carb since I'll be cutting the carb end of the cable off and it would be easier to thread the cable alone through rather than the cable and the pedal-end fitting through. Hopefully I'll get the cable by the weekend so I can fix this thing up. I'm really admiring the gas mileage I'm getting the Beetle vs the gas mileage I get with the truck. By the way, the cable broke RIGHT AT the pedal-end fitting. I think I could probably rig it up to work somehow with the existing cable but want to go ahead and do it right. Funny thing... when I bought this Beetle I immediately ordered a few spare parts for it including a spare cable. Unfortunately it's a clutch cable. Dangit. Should have ordered a throttle cable while I was at it.

Reply to
Shag

pull the old one either way, if you pull it from the pedal end and leave the carb end tip in place, it would help clean the pipe the cable runs through. If there's a lot of crud in there though, it might get stuck. You could also intentionally fray and unwind the end of the cable from either end, and then pull it through so it would clean things out. It would be more flexible.

Feed new cable in from the pedal end.

Reply to
Jan

The cable only goes in one way unless you have something different all togheter. It has either a loop or a zigzag sort of thing at the pedal end. I have seen both multi-strain cable, and single solid steel tread(?)

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Yes install the cable from the Pedal area to the Carb. Wheel Bearing Grease on the cable as you feed the cable through helps protect it. Also make sure that the rigid steel tube, by the carb, fits in that flexible tube, over the transmission, firmly after you get that cable through. I have seen some accelerator cables bind and break at the front of the engine. Straighten out, by bending with some pliers, the pedal lever after you clean around the pedal area. Usually I find that the pedal lever starts to bend to the left side.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1