Tightening Torque: heater box to head?

Without Guesswork doesn't seem to have this useful bit. The nuts that go onto the two studs where you mount the heater boxes to the engine - what's our torque there?

And if it is in WOG, where?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Bug? Bus?

According to the 1970-79 bug-ghia official service manual and assuming you are talking about the two M8 nuts that hold the heat exchangers, they should be tightened to 14 ft lb.That's on chapter 1, page 11.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

See my .sig: "71 VW Type 2 -- the Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in Summer)"

I'm still trying to track down a copy of the official service manual. Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Is that tough to get? Send my your address, I bought a 70 bus for the

1776 engine. It came with a bently, and a wire bound Muir. I'll send them both to you, as I have the bug bently, and a new Muir. They're kind of rough, as they were kept in the car in San Francisco.

OK, they're really trashy looking.

Mike.

Reply to
Michael Kelly

If Karls was talking about the Bentley's manual, I have that. I don't think that is what he was talking about, since the chapter and page he referenced does not have the tightening torque of the M8 nuts that attach the heater boxes to the engine. Karl? What manual are you looking at?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Heck -- doesn't really matter -- can't get a socket in there anyway.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I'm looking at the Bug-Ghia '70-79 manual. As I said before, Chapter 1 (Engine), Page 11. Under Removing and installing heat exchangers.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

The *Bentleys* manual?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

You are right, Karls. The bentley's manual for the bus has the Engine section as chapter 5, and there, on page 12 is the torque for the M8 nuts. Thanks.

Question for the tool guys: can't get a socket on these nuts because of bits of steel parts in the way, such as the pre-heating pipe flange. So my new handy-dandy Harbor Freight torque wrench can't be used. Are there some kind of open-end wrenches that allow measured torquing?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Can you use a socket extension? a 3 or 4 inches extension should be enough.

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Apreciate your effort, but realy, non critical torques like that are done "by feel"... Use a short wrench untill you get the hang of it, less likely to snap the stud/bolt.

J.

Reply to
BergRace

No -- can't even get a thin-wall socket on the nut behind the pre-heating tube flange. It's like it is built to interfere.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thank, J. Being a newbie, I got no inbuilt history to tell me what bits have critical torqueing needs, and which don't. Inge and I tightened the nuts with your basic open-end wrench until they felt tight.

As someone else helpfully pointed out, it would be a good idea to go back in a day or two and re-check tightness. I must admit that I am surprised to not be finding lockwashers more in use on this vehicle. Given how much vibration these things are subjected to. Is this a VW thing, or does my experience in electronics hardware -- where you use lockwashers (internal and external star, split-ring, nuts with captive lockwashers, bolts with captive lockwashers, Bellevue compression washers, etc.) all over the place -- mean nothing in the exciting and profitable world of automobile servicing?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Snip A Bunch...........

As far As Lockwashers go, there are tons of them on the vehicle, but they are of a spring type washer instead.And They Wrk Well for the most part.

You should try using something more akin to a self locking nut and of a bronze type material for the exhaust system attachment. These will not rust to the exhaust and will be more likely to be removeable one day when you need to change or repair something that is exhaust related

They are a bronze material aren't they guys...........???

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Cool. Most of the parts I've had to remove didn't have any sort of locking hardware. Might be because this bus has been taken apart so many times over the past 32 years that all the smaller bits have been mislaid. Probably sitting under someone's workbench right now, even as I write this.

Though the clamps provided with the kit I got from aircooled.net used to connect the heater boxes to the exhaust pipe/muffler assembly were crap, they did send these cool copper-colored kinda acorn-shaped nuts with double-D flatted holes in them.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

This is most excellent Doood!

( trying to keep into the whole California 'tude)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Most awesome!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...........WOWEEE ! Can us NY'ers be way too cool too?

..........I learned recently how to say: Fo Shizzle Mah Nizzle.............lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Reply to
Ilambert