tip of the day

When they say it's a good idea to use disposable gloves when applying por-15, they MEAN it. Even my favorite hand-cleaner (gasoline) was unable to get this stuff off. Looks like I'll see if it can outlast me or I can outlast it. That stuff is strong. I got the top and bottom of the flooring in the rail covered, with somewhat of a second coat on the top. Going to cover it all with Herculiner once it's cured (next weekend, probably) so I think I have really good coverage of por-15 for what I need. Measured the flooring today. It's 1/8" thick steel. Pretty hefty. With the por-15 and Herculiner on it, it should outlast me. I used two fans to help with ventilation with the garage wide-open and the rail parked right next to the big garage door door. Just enough to keep it out of the sunlight, but give good ventilation. Finished it up a couple of hours ago and I barely still feel dizzy. :-P Pictures coming.

Reply to
Shag

Yeah, I know what you mean with that stuff not coming off: I painted engine tin, schroud and other pieces last week. When I walked back in the house my wife asked me what that black crap on my forehead was. I must have wiped my forehead with my gloved hand

-- not smart, but in my defense I was seeing pink elephants at the time. It was a bear to get off my forehead but my handywork looks great and will last a long time.

Herculiner, isn't that the stuff they paint truck beds with? That's a good idea, painting the floors with this stuff - didn't think of that... I guess one could paint the underside of the floors this way too, huh? Thanks for that tip.

I actually picked up another bug yesterday - a 72 regular (am slowly working towards a bug fleet :) It'll need pans/rocker panels but is actually in good shape. Will probably spring for a gallon of POR15 soon because will definitely need it. This time I'll try to keep it off my forehead. ;)

Reply to
Remco

Yeah, when I had a Jeep I used it to coat the inside of the tub with it. Worked great. I still have some left over that I'm gonna use on the floor of the rail. Here's some pics of the Herculiner on the Jeep:

heh heh... I bought one of those 6-pack of cans of POR-15 from aircooled.net. Something about the "6-pack" in the description convinced me... :-) When I got it, I thought the cans were pretty small and was worried that I wouldn't have enough, but I only used 2 of the cans today to completely do the top and bottom of the entire floor of the rail, and did at least a partial second coat on the top. If I used all of the 6-pack kit then I'd easily have enough to do 3 coats top and bottom. I think I'm just gonna keep the extra 4 cans I have for future projects, like I did with the extra Herculiner I had left over. Funny about the POR-15 on your forehead. I figure it's gonna take 3-4 days for me to get all of this stuff off of me.

Reply to
Shag

Head over to Ace Hardware and buy a pint of acetone. It will take most of the POR off.

Reply to
johnboy

What about the diziness? :-)

Reply to
Shag

My wife wanted our daughter to take a quick picture of us and we forgot about the POR-15 stuff... Oops... hahaha!

Shag

Awwwww, so cute! Makes me wanna come over and give a big hug.

The wifey is nice too.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

It does wear off......I've used it on exhaust pipes with good results too.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Shag are the 6 packs still in plastic with screw on covers or did por-15 get smart and go with metal. Several years ago I had 4 of the six set up over the winter in a dry basement that had never been opened. I never had a problem with the metal conainers even when resealed as long as I used a plastic wrap for sealer.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

They are small metal cans now with regular lids like a typical can of paint.

Reply to
Shag

A generous dose of 3.2 beer repeated as desired will flush you out good.

Reply to
johnboy

What is 3.2 beer? (I feel like I'm walking into a trap...)

Reply to
Shag

It is what strong beer is not.

Reply to
johnboy

Oh. Well, you must be right. I just had about 5-6 Amstel Light beers and 1/2 a Budweiser and I'm not dizzy anymore. :-)

Reply to
Shag

Just make sure if you have to go to the bathroom that the hand you grab Mr. Happy with is clean. If not, your wife or the guys at the gym might start calling you Pinto.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Psycho the sequel ??

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

MMmm. The mental image....(I could do without).

P.J. Berg

*************** To retain the dizzyness just sniff some laquer thinner. ;^P You fellas *do* know that the por 15 is for *rusty* metal, don't you? It dosen't stick very well (long term) to clean steel... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

Errr... You must not have looked at the pictures. :-)

Reply to
Shag

*********** I must be blind; I didn't see any links to pics except for you & the wife & the one for the jeep - which wouldn't come up in three tries... ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

Reply to
ThaDriver