Tire size ideas?

I have a 75 Baja just about completed and a set of Empi 8 spoke rims handy. Was going to weld in adjusters this weekend and raise the rear a couple of inches too. Anyone have any comments/ideas on a good tire size that will fit all 4 corners on these rims? Looking to get a moderate light truck tire for height and tread pattern. Wanted to keep the same size all the way around so I can have 1 spare that will fit all positions. TIA

Mac

Reply to
Mac

You can run big tires in the rear and small up front and just keep one big spare tire with you... then if you have a flat up front then you can just take the flat tire/wheel off and put it in the back seat, then replace your other front tire with your big wheel/tire spare. You can drive it off of the trails like that on just the 3 big wheels/tires. And if you have a flat on one of your rear tires, just replace it with the spare. Or you could run all the same size tires like you said. :-) I used to run 31" truck tires on the rear and stock wheels/tires up front.

Reply to
Shag

a lurker becoming a more frequent poster.... just trying to help where i can...

in my past experience i had the best handling and overall driveability with either a 245/60r-15 or a 235/70r-15 on the rear's and a 'std. 165/50r-15 on the front. that size on the rears with a 8-10" wide std. 'white spoked' steel wheel was only about 1/2" taller than the std. 165's usually run on the rears... so this kept the gear ratios within reason- one time i ran some

31" truck tires and quickly changed that out... whoa! not good-

to fully expose my checkered v.w. past... starting with my first..

66 swingaxle baja.-moms's car, a real beater, but oh so fun to learn on (250.00)

65 square back- bought for 250.00 drove alot- then was t-boned

74 ford maverik 302- a moment of weakness... and a fathers projection of his youth onto me...

61 bug- bought to restore, fell in love got married sold car... to a guy who restored it- still see it driven daily in the area

68 baja (irs, so late 68)- fun car, did lot's of work to that one, then found out the roof had been welded on from another bug... in a moment of weakness i made it a convertable, 15 min. with a sawzall \, and a summer of fun... that car hold's the record for the fastest pizza delivery in cottonwood...8^) with a broken throttle cable 8^0, sold to a friend, still in town...

69 baja, great car, rebuilt, repainted... sold in a time of family illness... watched the idiot i sold it to run it into the ground... now a new owner has it and is doing much better

dune buggy- a real frankenstien, but awesome to drive... 2017, dual del

45's, monster cam, etc..... sold due to family illness...

now on the prowl for a bug to fix up for the 13 y.o. to drive at 16...

thanks for the area to spill my v.w. guts...

jd-drafter

Reply to
jdowling