Tired of mechanics and the run around...

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

Personally I think you are being way to passive about this situation. You do have choices. The guy is obviously trying to screw you over. You know the valve covers hadn't been popped. There's no way he could diagnose a loose stud without removing the valve covers. End of story. And yes, they stole your Berg adjusters (after all, what is the alternative theory? Some thief creeps up to your driveway in the middle of the night and lifts your adjusters *and* then replaces them with old beat up ones? Come on.). They probably figured you were one of those owners who would never pop the valve covers and adjust their own valves. Probably figured a prior owner put then in and you didn't even know they were there (and they'd just look so much better on their engine).

Of all the ideas that might cross my mind if I were in your shoes taking this car (or any car) back to this asshat would not be one of them. Most likely, if your girlfriend was the one that took the car in he just figured he had a sucker on the line that would have no clue when it came to auto mechanics. Some mechanics can be like a shark who smells blood in the water when they think they have a clueless customer, unfortunately especially when the customer is female. This fellow was probably already mentally spending the dough he was going to make on this deal.

Be your own mechanic. It's the only way to know it's done right. Maybe you need to acquire an additional beater car so when one of your daily drivers goes down you have the luxury of fixing it on your schedule.

BTW, I can't believe you didn't check the lugs on *all* the wheels after you found that they failed to tighten one wheel. You really need to assume the worse if you let someone else touch your car.

Reply to
John Crichton

That wasn't me that was a story from someone else...

Agreed. Already decided against going back... ever.

Already done that, so problem solved.

When I found them loose she was broken down on the side of the road at midnight, so I checked the rears and kicked the fronts... they seemed ok and there was no reason for them to have been removed during an oil change... guess I was wrong... they must have found a reason.

Anyway, I re-torqued her heads and they are fine. Gapped the valves and the car runs great.

Reply to
71-transporter