trans swap?

I have an '81 Vanagon with automatic transmission that'll need transmission work in the not to distant future. I'm thinking about swapping in a manual. One VW enthusiast tells me the automatics and manual trans have different mounting points , which the factory put in place depending on the trans; hence welding needed with a swap. Another VW enthusiast says all Vanagons should share all mounting points; hence a slightly complicated bolt in job. Anyone know for sure?

-- Rich

End PA property taxes:

Richard F Way