Transaxle Stuck

My '68 Beetle w/1600cc won't shift into neutral. Clutch arm moves on transaxle, and from the shifter, it feels as if one can shift through all the gears BUT she stays in gear whatever I do or say. I was deep in the woods (she's a Baja conversion) when I thought I had broken the clutch cable- we managed to limp out in second gear, but now I'm not sure. Can't even tow her out like this. Good Lord, what have I done... and what do I do now: Did I break some inaccessible gizzy- pin, and it's time to start pulling the engine/transaxle? Halp!

Reply to
buggerall

does the shifter feel like it's still connected to the transmission? Does it feel normal, when you try to shift gears? You could check the shifter coupler under the backseat, have a friend move the shifter and look at the transmission coupler inside the tunnel: maybe it got loose and the coupler just slides over the tranny selector shaft (hockey stick thingy).

Reply to
Jan